Switching HD's and switching pcs....

Assassin X

Ok, now that I am not getting Vista I got one last question(s) for awhile (hopefully). I think I know the answer but better safe the sorry!

I have two hard drives:

C: (Master, 80 GIG, half full), has Windows and tools on it that I use to maintain my pc.

D: (Slave, 250 GIG, half full), has games and is used for everything else like downloads...etc.

I basically am going to but a new pc but instead of using the two new hard drives that come with it I want to just take them out and insert mine.

Will there be any problems? Is it even possible?

I figured I would just have to uninstall and install the new drivers from the new pc assuming it doesn't do it automatically. And that most programs would see the changes like games for example.

Are you going to format them?

Windows will not work if you are changing the hardware it is using.

If you try access the windows drive even as a secondary drive just to extract info when you setup your new pc, Windows will most likely throw an access denied permissions window at you.

Best to format the windows drive at least and re-install windows on that drive ;)

Are you going to format them?

Windows will not work if you are changing the hardware it is using.

If you try access the windows drive even as a secondary drive just to extract info when you setup your new pc, Windows will most likely throw an access denied permissions window at you.

Best to format the windows drive at least and re-install windows on that drive ;)

I recently got a new motherboard, cpu, and ram. I plugged in the same harddrive and it said "Windows has detected a new CPU", I pressed Ok and it loaded normally but I formatted later any way because I was planning to do it for a while.

I wasn't planning on reformatting.

I really want to keep both hard drives the same, that is not lose any information. Thats the one stupid thing about computers, you put so much custom stuff on them but then you are suppose to delete it all every few years! I try to avoid it.

I wasn't planning on reformatting.

I really want to keep both hard drives the same, that is not lose any information. Thats the one stupid thing about computers, you put so much custom stuff on them but then you are suppose to delete it all every few years! I try to avoid it.

Every few years? I'm lucky if I decide not to format every few months :D

Thats the one stupid thing about computers, you put so much custom stuff on them but then you are suppose to delete it all every few years! I try to avoid it.

Actually, you're not "suppposed" to delete it. What you're "supposed" to do is a make a separate partition so that you can blow Windows away and not lose anything else. I've been doing that for years now so I don't even have to think twice about formatting.

i think AssassinX is referring to all the hundreds of registry tweaks, file associations, etc etc that you can't just save in a file or slipstream (because of application dependence)

it takes me a week up to a month to get my system back to normal after formatting because of the way everything is linked to the OS (example: disc image (iso, bin/cue, mds, etc) context menu has about 12 apps, and maybe about 15 different actions)

Edited by hardnrg

it takes me a week up to a month to get my system back to normal after formatting because of the way everything is linked to the OS (example: disc image (iso, bin/cue, mds, etc) context menu has about 12 apps, and maybe about 15 different actions)

Between my custom nLite image and my batch install files, and can have my OS and apps installed and tweaked in under an hour. But that's another discussion. It is true that there's really no way to "back-up" the OS tweaks you've got currently.

The other option is something like a Norton Ghost image. It won't save you to trouble this time, but it will next time :)

Hmm... interesting responses. Where to start....

I do have Norton Ghost (9.0). I back up my PC about every 6 months. Never know when something will happen.

I should know this but probably forgot. How do you do a partition? I imagine I had to do it from the start!

I am not to worried about windows tweaks, although now that I think about it I do have it REALLYYYY tweaked. But since I have around 400 various programs that are various sixes I have, as you can guess, lots of various settings. Like I have picture programs set of certain ways. Or perhaps my biggest thing is I have TONS of games, and not counting their general settings I have lots of content for them like mods, maps....etc. All stuff that took forever to add, find what works, what doesn't....etc. To lose it all would be a pain.

I do however put things on a disc like new downloads for the games, save games, new documents...etc. So its not like its a total loss. Just a pain to go through it all. About 200 Gigs of customized programs!

-EDIT-

On a side note last time I reformatted was 2004. Got this PC in 2002 from Gateway (yeah a crappy prebuilt), and since then customized it, had a harddrive failure and reformatted in '04. Since then I have had one Virus nearly call for a format but I wiped that out. It actually runs better now then it ever has. Of course I run heavy maintenance on it about once a month, not counting the usual defrags, scandisk stuff.

Edited by Assassin X