Sign in to follow this  
Makinwaves

AMD2 chips

I,m running an AMD2 5200 in MSI mobo, stock heatsink & fan that came with the chip. I used thermal paste, & my case hase 3 fans,my power supply has 2 fans. My temp is monitor (also from my mobo) is reading 58-59C/136F is this high? I know that duo core chips run high but I'm thinking this too high. Anybody know what the temps should be? Thanks

Still probably qualifies as 100% load, unless you're running the burning in low priority mode or something.

It's high, yeah. You probably won't kill your processor at those temps, but it's not something most people will be comfortable with. Confirm the temps with a program like Core Temp (check the overclocking essential software thread), but if those temps are accurate, you should look into improving the airflow of your case, re-seating the heatsink with some Arctic Silver 5, or getting a new heatsink altogether. Chances are, though, if you're not going to be OC'ing it or really using it hardcore, you can probably just increase your airflow and not worry too much about it.

How bout this:

When the temperature reads are at that, open Task Manager and see how much of your CPU is being used.

Stock settings, not a gaming load but dvd burning.

"Burning" a DVD takes almost zero cpu power. "Encoding" or "Compressing" a DVD takes basically 100% load. We need more info.

When the temperature reads are at that, open Task Manager and see how much of your CPU is being used.

Better yet, run a stress test. SuperPi can give you some quick load temps, or run a 30min OCCT and check your stability while you're at it.

just to clear some things up... the company is AMD, the cpu is an X2 5200+, and it's a dual core processor... not AMD2 5200 duo core...

the temperatures are a bit high... i say anything over 50