Extreme temperature in the both CPU and GPU.

seba1976

Hi, I have this problem. Let's start saying my room temperature is about 30C (between 1 and 5 degrees hotter than outside temperature, most of the day). My rig's case is always open and there's a big ventilator right next to it - with the diameter of the whole case - dedicated to cool the system the most that it can. And here's my 1st question to you. You all seem to have your cases closed, put a bunch of small fans all around it, in order to produce an airflow within. Now, just to confirm, is my solution of having the case open and putting on a big ventilator on one side better than anything with the case closed, and you're not doing that because a) you don't need it, and/or b) it's not pretty :-), or it is actually better to close the case and have an airflow in there? Let me tell you in advance two things: 1) I find really hard to conceive that there is any better airflow than opening your case and directing a domestic ventilator into it, and 2) if I close my case right now and fire up any game, my system is toasted, no chance, temperatures goes sky high and the first thing that explodes turns off the PSU.

That being said, my CPU temperature right now is 48-50C. I have an ATI All In Wonder X800-XT video card - I know it's old up there, but down here in the south that's still a very expensive card, believe me. The card have a small conector - like the ones that used to power the old 1.44mb floppy disk drives - that comes directly from the PSU. And I'm grounded, I call it that way because I can't launch any game. If I do, the game runs fine for... maybe 20 minutes or so, and then either hangs, reboots, or turns off the PC - depending on what PSU I'm trying. Yes, I been trying 3 PSUs already. I had the stock 350W unit that came with the case, and with that one the games mostly hang up the system. The more demanding the game, the more often it happens. Then I thougt the problem could be the PSU and I bought another one, a 450W regular unit - by regular I mean, cheap. Well with this one the system never freeze again, it just turns off, and I have to unplug the power from the outlet and reconnect, to be able to restart the PC. Then I said what the heck, and went and bought an expensive 500W PSU, but when I tried to disconnect the small connector that were attached to the ATI, the plastic was melted. When I finally separated the two pieces, I noticed that it was all black around the red cable. Finally, now I have all powered up with the new PSU, but I've been checking - with my fingers - that piece of plastic and the sourroundings - specially the ATI card around the connector - and five minutes or so after I launch a demanding game (Armed Assault, but even NFS:Most Wanted) the temperature is VERY high, and the whole card get hotter and hotter. And I don't know what to do, what is normal, or what is happening.

Well that's my frustrating experience and there's not much more to it, if you can help, please do. Even if you think there is nothing you or I can do, please just try to explain what might be causing all this heat, or if it is just normal, given the above mentioned circunstances.

Thanks in advance.

You only gave temperature for your CPU at 48~50*C. Which, on stock cooling is normal.

Now your GPU, that will get quite warm as well on stock cooling. I'd say, above 60*C, which again is still normal.

Although, that doesn't explain why things are melting.

if you have the side off the case and a massive fan blowing into your case, you are sucking loads of dust and fluff into your case and may have clogged up the heatsink of the X800 card... i'd recommend a can of compressed air, removing the card, and blasting out the dust in there, and checking the fan still works...

at stock speeds and voltages, the temperatures on any x800 card should be only very warm at most with normal heatsink operation... i also can't think of why the connector would melt aside from a manufacturing fault of the psu's connector

I would say dust buildup on the video card heatsink is the issue. More heat= increased amp draw= burnt wiring. Another option is your volts are low casing an increase in the amp draw causing heat buildup and again burned wiring. Do a good cleanup and make sure the fan is spinning. I have had 2 fans die on my x800xl, killing one of them.

Either that or reseat the heatsink on the CPU and make sure that the heatsink on the GPU has good contact. Otherwise, barring what any of the other guys saying could happen, sounds to me like your temps are normal.

What PSUs have you used? I'm a bit weary of this expensive 500w you bought

It'll be probably unknown to you... the markets are very different. The brand is CODEGEN. It has two fan coolers and it's working alright so far. The other two are generic ones, with no real brand other than it's procedence: China.

I would say dust buildup on the video card heatsink is the issue. More heat= increased amp draw= burnt wiring. Another option is your volts are low casing an increase in the amp draw causing heat buildup and again burned wiring. Do a good cleanup and make sure the fan is spinning. I have had 2 fans die on my x800xl, killing one of them.

I'm not sure if failure to dissipate heat will produce more amp draw... The voltage thing I would discart it because even when only one PSU resulted with a burned connector, the others are extremelly hot in the same area and since I was expecting the problem, never let the temperature to raise more, ergo, I stopped the games as soon as things were getting to hot to touch.

Dust on the GPU heatsink is only perceived at closed look, and the card is no more than 4 months old. I'll do the cleaning but I don't expect too much of a difference.

It'll be probably unknown to you... the markets are very different. The brand is CODEGEN. It has two fan coolers and it's working alright so far. The other two are generic ones, with no real brand other than it's procedence: China.

http://www.surpass.com.au/content/standard...oductinfo=18983

That one?

That's not exactly a great power supply by any means of the word.