Sign in to follow this  
nmk1988

Building Overclockable gaming pc

I've owned an Infinity 975X and no the FSB does not top out around 375, it pushes pass that easily with a little more voltage (vmod and droop mod). I believe Coolaler's testing with this board got him to around 440-450FSB? Not as high as 965 but still pretty nice. I'd watch what revision DS3 you get as I've heard of some problems they've been having. Never owned one but I know some guys who have had issues with Bioses and some minor hardware failures on the boards part. My mainboard choices would be

1. 680i

2. 680LT <availibility may be a problem

3. Any 975 Board

4. Any 965 Board

This list is just my preference. The 680 chipsets are pricey and have some issues but they are sweet overclockers. Intel chipsets are great and solid but I went by OC'bility. The 965 will give you the greatest FSB headroom. I could go on but it's been covered here before. And on the 6800 getting beaten by the 4300, the 6800 will out OC the 4300 nine times out of 10. Stock means nothing, after all this is OCC.

And on the 6800 getting beaten by the 4300, the 6800 will out OC the 4300 nine times out of 10. Stock means nothing, after all this is OCC.

There's no doubt about that, I just say that most times, the e4300 will not have a negative impact, or simply it won't bottleneck 8800 GTX at all.

Edited by nmk1988

There's no doubt about that, I just say that most times, the e4300 will not have a negative impact, or simply it won't bottleneck 8800 GTX at all.

But again, that's one example. And Oblivion is not exactly a new game either. Like I said, take a look at the comparisons I linked for Supreme Commander. That thing takes full advantage of the Q6600. It's a very cpu-hungry game. Each game is different, but I still think (in general) that a 4300/GTX combo is fairly unbalanced. Given your budget I think your build is pretty good, but assuming the 4300 will never bottleneck a GTX given that one example you found is a bit short-sighted.

Verran is completely correct. Saying that its not going to bottleneck it is not true, up the resolution to max with AA and AF and see how much your GTX likes the bandwidth your cpu is giving it. Like verran said those benches say little about margins of error or how good a CPU actually is. By the way, what PSU are you planning on getting?

By the way, what PSU are you planning on getting?

OCZ GameXstream 600W or Thermaltake Toughpower TR2 700W.

I can get them at exactly the same price (107 euros=143 dollars).

My big concern now is the CPU.

I was sure that E4300 was the best choice, but you're starting to change my mind, and maybe that's good but the cost will reach or pass 2000 euros which is a lot of money.

(2000 euro=2675 US dollars)

So finally i have 3 main choices:E4300, E6300, E6400,

(or even E6600 if i can get much better performance this way)

So please tell !

Edited by nmk1988

Sure!

Kingdingeling started a thread specifically for Core2 OCing. You can find it here. Also, I wrote an Overclocking Basics guide a while ago as well. Mine is a more general approach to the concepts of OCing. It's kind of like a "what you should know before you start OCing" sort of thing, while king's is more specific steps for your chip. Also, the good doctor made a thread for OC Software a while back too.

Give some of that a shot, and don't hesitate to ask if you need more help.

thanks for linking that, if I would have been somewhere near an internet connection I woulda linked that as well!

As for your questions, where in Europe are you located at? Cause it all depends on the shop you buy, also where are you spending 2000

(2000 euro=2675 US dollars)

just remember that the literal value of exchange will be more like 2000 euro = $1600ish US due to a number of factors and the US being very cheap.

E6600 > E4300 > E6400 > E6300

that is not necessarily true.

In order of who OCs best: E6600 > E6400 > E4300 > E6300

In order of price:performance ratio: E6600 > E4300 > E6300 > E6400

For the OCing order, the E4300 might OC more from its standard clock than the E6400, but the E6400 generally gets higher clocks in normal conditions. The higher multi does not always allow you to OC more than lower multi cores.

the best bang for your buck clearly goes to the E6600, as the larger cache really does make a difference. Here the E4300 is this high because of the ability to OC quite a bit from stock clock, without the need for extremely expensive RAM.