Sign in to follow this  
Kamikaze_Badger

What's with high school students these days?

You can get into college with one, but only if you're an allstar on the SATs. I've seen a few people do it, though.

Personally, I think it's retarded.

...and there is a very good chance this is illegal, also know as discrimination. (I don't know about your state) but I know in many states it is illegal and it will open an employer up to lawsuits.

As for getting into a uni of choice, I will be going to community college and getting a two year degree. Then transferring to a four year college.

But to me it seems that everyone has made up their opinions that EVERYONE with a GED is going to fail. Kinda like all black people are criminals, and all sorts of other GENERALIZATIONS.

******I am in no way racist-statement was for comparisons sake.*******

as an owner of serveral businesses, in not only 3 states, but 3 countries... it's not illegal.

besides the fact that I demand on the best. from lawyers, accountants, network engineers, master mechanics right down to the lowest level employees. and part of that requirement is that they show some dedication and the ability to tough it out. and in my eyes dropping out of regular HS in order to get their GED is nothing shy of LAZY and WEAK.

also factor in that I've been around "alternative" or "adult" ed. my early years right out of HS included repairing all the abused and misused equipment in the school district's alternative ed building. While I think HS is utterly pathetic, alterative ED is 100 times more pathetic. bi-hourly smoke breaks, sit and watch tv or play on the web all day, no home work... heck NO work what so ever. yeah that's what those advanced students need to be doing. god forbid they do something like enroll in AP classes or other college level / credit classes.

Maybe they're happy with where they're at?

Ok probably not, but seriously, its not like you have to have a diploma to go far... Join the service, they'll pay for your school. Go to community college, transfer to a university, its the degree, not the school that matters to a certain extent. And, someone has to pick up your garbage and make you burgers and bag your groceries don't they, just think, them messing up makes it all that much more easier for you to go far.

And get a blog, or we could make a "KB's Rants" section of the forum... :P

If you get a GED, DO NOT STOP there.. Continue your education or just have the right connections and know the right people.

I came from a GED background but I'm completing college. I'm currently working as a Desktop Engineer. I see a lot of people who completed H.S. and are still stuck flipping burgers...

If you still have the option to finish up H.S. then finish it. Dumb mistakes in life didn't give me the options to complete H.S. so I obtained a GED and went straight to a private college.

Edited by silkster

And get a blog, or we could make a "KB's Rants" section of the forum... :P

LOL :lol::withstupid:

It really depends what you are doing if you are going to get a GED.

Personally, I couldn't have nor would I have, but certain things you need that high school diploma. The air force requires a high school diploma, so a GED is a no go. Second, if you are like a few others that have been on here and are going to go to college and then transfer to a university, more power to ya, but you could have saved time and just graduated high school.

some people don't have a choice. i had to drop out and help the family out with a lot of things my dad was a single parent when i lived with him and he was raising three of us when the plant he worked at went to Mexico. I had average grades in high school I just had to drop out to help my family and by the time i could go back it was a little late. Just because you have a GED doesn't mean you cant be something in life. now the people that just dont care yeah they will never be anything but bums.

I have seen people who got their GED, went on to college or technical schools only to end up with jobs that pay very little or end up in high paying jobs and yes make something of their lives.

There are also people who finish high school and go on to higher education and in the end there bums, no job and nothing to call their own.

Point is you have to have the right attitude and desire to make something of your life. If your a person with a low

self esteem, your not going to get very far.

You have to want something bad.. Plan your future and set goals. Then you have to meet those goals with the right attitude and drive.. Education is a vital tool in that process.

I could care less how educated you are. If your attitude is not right and your self esteem is low. I don't want you.. I want someone with a lot of self drive and are willing to go that extra mile.

This topic has been discussed alot latley, here at OCC. Personally, a diploma has always, in my eyes been looked at as better than a GED. i just dont understand how anyone can think any differently, almost everything that has been said to argue defensively for a GED just seems invalid. but eh, go ahead and drop out, chances are: youll be just one less person i have to worry about competing against for a job :)

Alright, heres my question for you red. If someone dropped out of high school and got their GED, then went onto a 4 year college and got a BS degree in whatever, how does their dropping out of high school show who they are now? People change, not every one drops out of school because they are lazy, for instance my mom moved to the US from Germany when she was 18, she has a GED but also graduated from school in Germany, would you look down on her (or anyone in the same position) if she were to apply @ one of your businesses?

This topic has been discussed alot latley, here at OCC. Personally, a diploma has always, in my eyes been looked at as better than a GED. i just dont understand how anyone can think any differently, almost everything that has been said to argue defensively for a GED just seems invalid. but eh, go ahead and drop out, chances are: youll be just one less person i have to worry about competing against for a job :)

I ask you how is THIS invalid in any way? It's pretty straight forward if you ask me. I will repeat what I just said in my last post but in a different way. Let's say Joe Shmoe decides to come over here from Brazil and live and work in the United States (legally of course) to better his life and brings his family with him. I can tell you from personal experience with my wife (who is from Venezuela) that his first step to compete in the job market would be to get a GED. How would he go to high school for four years and graduate from there at an older age with a family to worry about? If the GED is looked down upon by all employers then how would these people ever get decent jobs? The system would be seriously flawed and their wouldn't even be a point in offering the GED now would there. My wife had no choice but to get a GED being a foreigner and guess what........she is doing just fine, going to school, and not ONE employer has ever told her "Ya know you really should go get a HSD before applying here again"

coming from a different country is quite a different story. your only option is different than the easy way out.

this is quite the divided topic i see.

my high school was 8-12th grade. in eight and ninth grade, i was an excellent student. (well, grade wise anyway) after that, it just went downhill. it never looked like i wouldn't get my HSD, so the thought of a GED never really crossed my mind, seemed to be on my grandparents though. my grandpa told me "a GED isnt going to open any doors, but not having a HSD will close many"

as it is, the GED can be a great tool in helping you further your education as in Neo's example. for the dropouts, i have to agree its an easy way out. doesnt mean they will amount to nothing. they need a lot of motivation afterwords though, which they could have saved by just staying in HS.

then there are the unexpected circumstances.

my ex girlfriend became pregnant in HS (no, im not the father) and unfortunately, she was forced to leave school in her senior year. she wasnt the only girl to drop out due to pregnancy that year, either. this girl was a good student, not the best mind you, but still a few miles away from knocked up idiot. she had to get her GED, but shes going to school again, getting her nursing degree. i dunno, i cant look at a HSD and say this person is destined for greatness, nor can i look at a GED and say that this person will be flipping burgers the rest of his life.

OFF TOPIC

btw, Kylie is a miracle baby. she was meant to be here. 2 forms of birth control failed, but brought her mom out of a very, very bad depression spiral.