New Rig...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way that you were saying that it was said that the pro is not supported by much made me think that the pro is not a good buy

well, the 1950XT was badly supported at first for a good month or two and it improved. i was under the impression that the 1950Pro was a-okay now...but if posts prior to this one suggest otherwise, I stand corrected.

the X1950Pro is a great card, I didn't say it was bad! However the support in things like drivers and ATT is kinna bad. It could just be because I am still running the 6.11 Catalyst so I can run GPU folding (I actually haven't tried the 7.2/7.3 yet), but the new ATT released a couple of days ago, that should have x1950pro support. I gotta check that out

For your CPU cooler, check my post earlier, THIS Thermalright 775 Mounting kit allows you to put the XP-90C you have already onto there, which is a great cooler, so no real need to shell out 50 bucks again for another cooler.

ok cool...I might have to get those drivers from you so i can GPU fold if i cant find them online when i buy the card...i might just buy a new cooler just so i can leave the xp-90c on this rig and keep this for 24/7 [email protected] would give me 2 coming from the AMP system, 1 from the 939 and 3 from this one i might be building ;) better for the cause

GPU folding is easy and fast, although the SMP client DOES slow down this bad boy by a lot! When I get my 3700+ back on the way with the Neo4-F I am eying, I might just put the x1950pro in there for folding and get a different card for my main rig...

anyways, the Tuniq Tower would be a good choice for serious OCing

cool...

does that motherboard support crossfire?

crossfire is the ATI equilivant of SLI correct?

I know the x1950 supports crossfire, do i have to have 2 of them for crossfire or do i need a better one or a slower one for crossfire to work?

that will be the next upgrade if i get this setup

Im behind on all the advances in vid card tech ;)

the DS3 supports it I think... don't quote me on that one, I have a DS4 (seemingly not sold anywhere in the US/Canada) and that supports it. A quick newegg search will help you out :)

Crossfire is ATIs SLI equivalent with less bottleneck. You just get another one of those card and off you go.

You just get another one of those card and off you go.

Don't you need to get a Crossfire version of the same card to step up to a CF setup? My understanding was that unlike SLI, CF will not run with two "regular" cards.

Verran, that is indeed the case, but only with older cards like the x1900's and before. The X1950's have software enabled crossfire as far as I know.

Yeah that wouldn't surprise me. Honestly I don't know. I'm just thinking he may want to get confirmation on that before he starts looking at a CF build.

However, with ATI's release of the new Motherboard Chipset named "CrossFire Xpress 3200", the 'master' card is no longer required for every "CrossFire Ready" card (with the exception of the Radeon X1900 series). With the CrossFire Xpress 3200, two normal cards can be run in a Crossfire setup. This move is viewed as an overall improvement in market strategy due to the fact that Crossfire Master cards are expensive, in very high demand, and largely unavailable at the retail level.

Although the CrossFire Xpress 3200 chipset is indeed capable of CrossFire through the PCI-e bus for every Radeon series below the X1900s, the driver accommodations for this CrossFire method has not yet materialized for the X1800 series. ATI has said that future revisions of the Catalyst driver suite will contain what is required for X1800 dongleless CrossFire, but has not yet mentioned a specific date.

With the release of the Radeon X1950 Pro (RV570 GPU), ATI has revised CrossFire's connection infrastructure to further eliminate the need for past Y-dongle/Master card and slave card configurations for CrossFire to operate. ATI's CrossFire connector is now a ribbon like connector attached to the top of each graphics adapter, similar to nVidia's SLi bridges, but different in physical and logical natures

Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CrossFire

There you go man! Its like the SLI bridge on the NVIDIA side of life, I should have just opened my rig and I would have seen it :lol: