CPU getting eatin alive by services.exe

Fueler

My office PC has developed a problem that I can't get a handle on. I first noticed it when I discovered that FAH was taking 2 hours or more to complete a step that normaly took 20 minutes. When I checked windows task manager services.exe was eating up 80% of the cpu. I rebooted the PC and checked task manager again.......FAH was using 98% on the cpu and services.exe was at 0% but after a couple of hours services.exe was back up to 80% killing FAH. No matter what I do this cycle keeps repeating itself....what in the h#ll is making services.exe use so much cpu cycles. I've checked Microsoft's site and Googled it and can't find a d#mn thing that will help me. what do I have to do??? .......reinstall everything!!!!!.....which is Microsofts's standard repair. :angry2:

did you see this article?

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/services.exe.html

and this guy found it was a problem with hardware Interupts...

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=214083

Thanks for the links sdy284 but while it's reassuring to know that services.exe is not considered malicious it has now climbed back up to 50% on the cpu in less than a hour and will no doubt hit 80% plus in the next hour for no reason at all.

Edit: I have checked everyother PC I own (all run 24/7) and none of them are using more than 3% on the cpu with services.exe

i assume you looked to see if services.exe was located in your system32 folder?

Yes...I also found it here:

C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$

and

C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

but I didn't consider these to be malicious.....maybe I'm wrong?

and

dunno... i'm just going by what i've read online... :confused:

and

that's where it's supposed to be

Sounds like some sort of conflict within windows itself (Another M$ error) Try disabling all secondary processes/services running and see if that stops it (IE: jusched.exe, mbm.exe, anything that isn't essential) and if that doesn't work, try uninstalling drivers

Granted checking/googling each individual process in the taskmanger might take awhile :(

Edited by The Unforgivin

I started stopping services and when I stopped the service for my "Bluetooth wireless connection" (a Belkin USB device) the problem went away. I just don't understand why this would all of a sudden become a problem.....It's been installed on this PC for six months with no problems and was on another PC for almost two years without a problem.

Edit: Just disabling the bluetooth device doesn't completely stop the bleeding I have to go in and manually stop the btwdins.exe service....this completely eliminates the cpu usage by services.exe and allows FAH to run at 99%.

did you check if there are updated drivers for that device? Or at the very least, you can flush it out of your system and reinstall it and see if that helps.

:withstupid: try getting a newer version of the driver and reinstalling the device :)