Dry Ice Run

Thank you ModGod. I didn't think of that and yes you're right. I'll have to make sure my thickness is okay before I do that but great idea! I hope it doesn't affect structural integrity too much seeing as I'm going to have either LN2 or Dice in their at some point. I'm working on the drawings and designs now for my tube. Learning google sketchup is fun ;)

Update: :) Cleaned up my first tube. I have the copper for the second tube already to braze. It just needs to be cut to size and after brazing sanded. Pounding it into a square as fueler suggested is possible and easily done, but I can't think of any way to cap off the end with out pounding a piece of copper perfectly flat and then attaching to the end. My pounding would have to be perfect and I'd still need a raised area for heat transfer off of the gfx. I'll pursue this and another Idea I have.

Tube One is below

post-13852-1175358570_thumb.jpg

post-13852-1175358683_thumb.jpg

post-13852-1175358740_thumb.jpg

Tube Two is ready for brazing

post-13852-1175359556_thumb.jpg

post-13852-1175359647_thumb.jpg

I need desperate help in sketchup or another editor. I'm good at designing ideas in my head, but getting them on media is another story. Here is my idea for the graphics pot. I'll be modifying another tube I have laying around for this one. It should be realtively simple.

post-13852-1175360807_thumb.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$28 gets me enough to fill a large cooler. I'll be fine....LN2 is a different story.

Update: Both CPU tubes are now complete, fabrication is done, and I'm doing the sanding now as I type this (I'm a great multi-tasker :)). Enjoy the pics.

Cutting the tube to length.

post-13852-1175552111_thumb.jpg

Warming it up...:P

post-13852-1175552211_thumb.jpg

Beginning to seal it up....

post-13852-1175552276_thumb.jpg

Almost....

post-13852-1175552349_thumb.jpg

Done....

post-13852-1175552465_thumb.jpg

Now on to prettying it up...

post-13852-1175552531_thumb.jpg

All that's left is for me to make the mounting mechanism.

Update: :) Cleaned up my first tube. I have the copper for the second tube already to braze. It just needs to be cut to size and after brazing sanded. Pounding it into a square as fueler suggested is possible and easily done, but I can't think of any way to cap off the end with out pounding a piece of copper perfectly flat and then attaching to the end. My pounding would have to be perfect and I'd still need a raised area for heat transfer off of the gfx. I'll pursue this and another Idea I have.

Ok I can't draw worth a d*mn so here's my best shot. If you have any of that pipe left over you could cut it like in the diagram (along the doted lines) and like you said pound it as flat as you can get it. Then cut it and fold like in the bottom two drawings to fit the outside diameter of the square tube. I think with enough heat and brazing rod you can get it to seal. For the raised section to make contact with the gpu cut a small square of copper tubing (pounded flat) the size of the gpu and braze it to the bottom of the end cap (making sure that the brazing completely fills the gap between the two pieces. This should (hopefully) give you enough material to sand to a good mating surface for the gpu.

Dryice.jpg

Just a thought .....it might work B:)

I'm like you fueler, my head is full of ideas...but getting them to paper is another story entirely. I just finished the design I'm going to use for the dual tube mount for this board. It was a pain making sure everything centered up, but in the end I believe I prevailed. Ran into a speed bump during the designing though, turns out they glued the metal backplates to this motherboard, and instead of removing them, I figure I'll use them in the design, so my rods are going to screw into the already in place metal backplates. Genius no? I'll still make a tray to support the rest of the setup but its already insulated and sealed on the back so I was pretty happy with that. It's tough focusing on this when we've had such beautiful weather up here, I've had problems staying off of my Trek (road bike) and I've ridden over 100 miles in the past 2 days :). I'll work on that GPU design some more, thanks for the input fueler, I'll work on that.

Next up is for me to get some more insulation and then hopefully my graphics card will be back. dang RMA is taking forever. I don't think I've ever seen a dual cpu tube mount done before, if I'm wrong lemme know, but I feel like a pioneer going out into uncharted territory. :)

Pictures of the design process below and getting the tubes setup to see how the design works out. GPU work coming soon.

post-13852-1175656166_thumb.jpg

post-13852-1175656208_thumb.jpg

post-13852-1175656290_thumb.jpg

The pieces of paper are just the templates im going to sketch onto the stainless to cut out my design with the plasma cutter :) I'm working on the GPU tube sketch right now. Fueler is a genius and a wonderful person to have on this website. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions don't be afraid to post them, no idea is a bad idea.

How exactly does this work? Do you just drop dry ice in the tubes?

:blush:

Not quite, you need a medium to fill in the airpockets between the dry ice and the tube, so you use a liquid, preferably one that won't freeze or evaporate on contact. I use a mixture of Acetone and 91% alcohol. You can use ethanol, but the fumes from that would be pretty wicked. I'm sure there are others I'm failing to mention, I just posted what I know to work well for me. Great question though! If people want a more detailed explanation I'd be glad to go in depth for you all.