Sign in to follow this  
krazymonkey500

Limitations with AMD and 2T RAM timings

I know that it is highly recommended to run 1T timings with AMD - meaning 2 DIMMS in dual-channel - whenever possible. But what I want to know is if there is still any overclocking potential while running with 4 DIMMS (4x512). I just don't have the budget right now to go out and buy the $160 2GB dual-channel sets right now and I would like to have that extra gig with all the things I do with my computer.

Here is my setup:

AMD Opteron 165 w/ Thermaltake BigTyphoon - CCBBE 0615DPMW

DFI LanParty SLI-DR

G.Skill 4400LE (4x512) - currently being RMA'd

BFG 7800GT

WD2500KS

Silverstone Zeus 650w

Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic

I know that I could probably hit 2.6 on my optie pretty easily with 2 of the DIMMs in dual channel, and that would make it a pretty decent setup, but I would still be bottlenecked by the ram I think when I play games like Rainbow Six: Vegas, Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes, and BF2 and also when working with Photoshop plus general multitasking.

I haven't been able to try this setup yet because I had a dead set of the 4400LE lying around and then recently my other set went out on me so I RMA'd them both and expect them back next week. I just want to see if I can get a heads up from anybody that has tried this.

Edited by krazymonkey500

the performance decrease of dropping from 1T to 2T isn't really as big as everyone first worries about (me included)... from various overclocking comparisons the difference seems to be about the same as a 150-200 MHz decrease in ram speed... roughly... and that was with LE around the 280-320 MHz range

Nevermind the whole thing. G.Skill received my RAM today and notified that since it was discontinued, they were just going to send me a brand spankin' new 2GB set. All problems solved :D :D :D

This is the stuff I'm getting now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820231032

I'm hoping I can get 264 out of it, but that's high hopes.

Nevermind the whole thing. G.Skill received my RAM today and notified that since it was discontinued, they were just going to send me a brand spankin' new 2GB set. All problems solved :D :D :D

This is the stuff I'm getting now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820231032

I'm hoping I can get 264 out of it, but that's high hopes.

you can probably run it up a fair way, like up to 235 MHz, still at CL2... which is probably better than the performance from CL2.5 or CL3 despite the higher speed... or maybe i'm thinking CL2.5... in any case... that ram doesn't generally reach very high speeds, but can give very high performance at moderate speeds with some of the tightest 1gig stick timings possible

I read a lot of bandwidth vs. latency arguments and I'm just going to try it for myself. I'll get my max overclock with completely loose timings/better divider and bench it then do the same with relatively tight timings and loose divider.

I know the newegg reviews should be taken with a grain of salt, but quite a few people say they've been able to hit 250 with cas2.5 pretty easily. I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

I run my Geil DDR500 4x512 sticks at 2T and when I swapped out to a pair of 1 gig sticks at the same timings and speed the difference in games/benchmarks was less than 2% in all cases.

I wouldn't worry about it.