Got a 170 on the way, let the OC'n begin

inevitab1e

Hi all, been a while..

Just ordered an Opty 170 to replace the 'ol 148. Will be keeping the GSkill for the meantime. Bout to OC the hell out of this 170 on air once it arrives. Been running 2.9 all year and it's time to move dual-core :rolleyes: .

I should have the chip Thurs or Friday from newegg. Prepare for overclocking adventures. I'm gonna break some dual core records on air :P

well, i was hoping for a CCBBE stepping, but I hear this isn't that bad of a stepping. I was going to try to find a Local store like Frys, or compusa. But everyone is out of these. I think if I ship it back and have them send me another, it might be worse than this one.

I'm thinking off trying it over the weekend, and if it isn't hitting 2.8 its getting returned and refunded. I'm not going to try to have them send me another junk stepping.

What's funny is, I just ordered the same chip from Zipzoomfly and it should be here Monday or Tuesday. they have a 30 day return policy, which is better than neweggs 7 day.

Either way, I'm gonna find the best one, and push it. Anything I need to know about overclocking a dual core? I've been out of the OC world for a year after this last chip, and I've never OC'd a Dual. I'm assuming it's just drop in, open bios, and start clocking. Then something about running stability on each core individually?

• 3 weeks later...

After a week or so of troubleshooting a boot problem, I have got this chip stable at 2.8 w/ 1.43v. I had a major problem and it took over a week to discover that the problem was the PSU. The Fortron 500w was not enough power to run my system. I now have the OCZ 700w and it's been running fine for a couple days.

With the previous PSU i was able to reach 2.75 stable with the same voltage. And that was tested to the limit for that voltage, 2.8 needed about 1.48 to be stable. Now with the new PSU I'm stable at 2.8 with 1.43v :) Who knows, I might be able to back off the voltage for this speed now!

So that other PSU was limiting my OC. I will be testing this weekend to see what this chip will do for real now. Load is around 50c avg currently. Who knows, I may be able to get 2.9 with same voltage. It's like OC'n all over again for the max. This new OCZ psu is awesome.

Will keep you posted on my OC adventure, I guess this LCB9E stepping isn't all that bad after all!