It's Modding Time Again

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have a lot of catching up to do here.

This next section is all about the power supply and associated wiring which is a pretty important part since one of the main features of this rig is running two PC's from one PSU. This is also probably the part where Hardnrg will finally decide that I have gone completely over the edge :O

A word of caution

Please....if you are the least bit uncomfortable with or your knowledge of electricity is limited to "all I know is you can't see it and that it will shock you" then don't try doing any of the things I do here. First once you even bust open the case you warranty is void and second I don't want to get any PM's from somebodies parents telling me that their kid blew his finger off when he touched a charged capacitor in a power supply trying to duplicate something I did :blink:

OK here we go.

On most of my cases I've spent a lot of time routing wires so that they are hidden but because of the way this case is designed none of the usual hidding places are available. Well if I can't hide them then I'm just going to hang them out in plain view and do the best I can to route them in an organized manner to provide the best airflow.

I will be using a PC P&C Turbo-Cool 510 atx power supply. This PSU has had a noisy fan since day one so that is going to get replaced. I am also going to remove the PSU from it's case and just let it hang out in the open with the rest of the wires connected to it.

The first thing I needed to do was make a mounting plate for the PSU. This was pretty easy .....a couple of brackets and a section of 1/4" thick acrylic is all it took. (keep in mind that this is just the fitting up part....once everything is built then it will all be disassembled, the parts cleaned and polished up then reassembled)

Folding-Rig_19.jpg

This is the power supply with the cover off....in order to pull it out of the case some wires need to be cut.

1. The blue and black wires needed to be cut from the 3 prong female plug recepticle (the other end of these wires are connected to the DPDT on/off switch mounted below).
  2. The green/white wire was disconnected from the grounding post at the bottom of the case.
  3. There were two sets of blue and black wires connected to the on/off switch...the two that go to the PSU board were cut from the switch.

Since I can hardly remember what I did yesterday I also made a little drawing of where each wire was cut from :lol:

Now the PSU could be pulled apart.

Folding-Rig_26.jpg

Since the PSU is going to be mounted back to an acrylic plate it was important to figure out the grounding scheme. In addition to the green/white wire that came from the plug to the ground post there was another green/white wire that went from the ground post to the PSU board. It would have been easy to assume that this was the only other ground but if you follow the wires path it only grounds the top circuit board....the bottom main circuit board was grounded to the case by two of the mounting posts (you can see where in the pic below...left top and bottom corners).

Folding-Rig_27.jpg

Now that I knew how everything was grounded I could mount the PSU to the acrylic. The only part of the case that I reused was the back panel which I cut from the rest of the case. In the next two pics you can follow the ground path. I attached a wire to each of the mounting posts and routed those wires under the new fan and bolted them to the rear case panel just below the on/off switch. There is a third wire that comes from the rear panel to another ground post where the two green/white wires are attached. This post bolts to the aluminum mounting bracket which is riveted to the aluminum case frame grounding the whole freaking thing.

Folding-Rig_31.jpg

Folding-Rig_30.jpg

Now is when things start to get a little hairy. For this build I need to have:

1. 2x24pin atx connector
  2. 2x4pin aux board connector
  3. 2x4pin molex connector (for the hard drives)

That's it....any other connectors are just a waste of space. Looking at the atx connector I noticed that of the 24 wires going to it only seven were not either a 12v, 5v, 3.3v or a ground.....so gritting my teeth I grabed a wire cutter and whacked all the wires off.

Folding-Rig_32.jpg

But I didn't stop there....deciding that there was way more wires than I needed I fliped the PSU over and proceeded to desolder wires.

Folding-Rig_33.jpg

After I was done there were still too many wires so I went at it again and this time I showed no mercy.

Folding-Rig_34.jpg

Much better.....Here's how it ended up....I bundled the wires up and attached them to a couple of six position bus bars. From left to right the first five positions are the 5v,gnd,gnd,12v and 3.3v.....the next seven are the other wires that go to the 24pin atx connector. I only have one board up and running right now but the important thing is that it is RUNNING :lol:

Folding-Rig_35.jpg

Well back to work....I'll have more before too long B:)

I'm out of amazed expressions that don't involve vulgarities, so instead, I'll simply beg for more pictures soon! :)
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Fueler, you mentioned that you wouldn't be able to do any of your usual wire routing. It may be too late in the process now, but did you ever consider using two separate backplanes for your mobos with a "gap" in the center, of which you could use to route the wiring. Since you have the PSU directly above, and centered, it would be fairly easy to route them down into this gap/alley inbetween...and if you REALLY wanted to go overboard (which I know you love doing), you could even use your custom modular design on a "front panel" to close the gap. I don't know if I'm being entirely clear...my terminology isn't as advanced as your's. I can draw a picture if you don't understand but are interested to know more.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Fueler, you mentioned that you wouldn't be able to do any of your usual wire routing. It may be too late in the process now, but did you ever consider using two separate backplanes for your mobos with a "gap" in the center, of which you could use to route the wiring. Since you have the PSU directly above, and centered, it would be fairly easy to route them down into this gap/alley inbetween...and if you REALLY wanted to go overboard (which I know you love doing), you could even use your custom modular design on a "front panel" to close the gap. I don't know if I'm being entirely clear...my terminology isn't as advanced as your's. I can draw a picture if you don't understand but are interested to know more.

Well my first thought was to use two mounting plates (although not for the same reason as you mentioned) but I ended up going with one because it was less material (I had enough aluminum laying around to make one mount two would have required me buying more aluminum) and I could keep the width down to a minimum (as it is it's still 10" wide). I may not be able to hide the main wiring harness but I do have enough room behind the boards to hide the ribbon cables to the hard drives and those are the most obnoxious looking cables (at least in my opinion) B:)

Well my first thought was to use two mounting plates (although not for the same reason as you mentioned) but I ended up going with one because it was less material (I had enough aluminum laying around to make one mount two would have required me buying more aluminum) and I could keep the width down to a minimum (as it is it's still 10" wide). I may not be able to hide the main wiring harness but I do have enough room behind the boards to hide the ribbon cables to the hard drives and those are the most obnoxious looking cables (at least in my opinion) B:)

Haha. okay. I figured you thought it all out :)

Wow dude, I would be way too scared to just rip apart a PCP&C PSU like that! I have tried looking at the inside of a 300W LC-Power POS unit, and I was like "what the heck?" and left it :lol: Soldering is not my thing anyways, but this looks amazingly awesome :P

Wow dude, I would be way too scared to just rip apart a PCP&C PSU like that! I have tried looking at the inside of a 300W LC-Power POS unit, and I was like "what the heck?" and left it :lol: Soldering is not my thing anyways, but this looks amazingly awesome :P

lol, yeah. I've taken apart a bunch of PSU's, but it's usually just to take out fans, not to cut wires and solder :blink: