It's Modding Time Again

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#13 BTSchnarfy

BTSchnarfy

• Folding Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:29 PM

I think I. . . I may ha. . . yeah, I wet myself. I promised I wouldn't get so excited the next time one of these came around, too. Oh well, I guess I'll just sit here in eager anticipation like EVERYONE else (maybe I should shower first). Looks great so far Fueler! :foldon:

#14 Bosco

Bosco

OCC Boss

• Senior Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32956 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:44 PM

Nice Job :)

Main Gaming Rig
Intel 6700K
MSI Board
32GB Gskill
Titan X
Samsung 1TB SSD
Corsair 600T White
Noctua D14 CPU Cooler
Corsair 1200 Watt PSU
Asus 32" 4K Monitor
Donating to OCC :::: OCC Site Rules :::: OCC Reviews
RIP Verran and Nemo gone but never will be forgotten.

#15 road-runner

road-runner

Posting Machine

• Folding Member
  • 11385 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:50 PM

Looks good hurry up so we can catch AnandTec! :foldon:

I7-6900K Asus X99 Deluxe 2 Corsair Vengeance 32Gb Intel 750 400gb  2- 1080ti

sigimage.gif

#16 sdy284

sdy284

Mr. Staypuft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8303 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:04 PM

just pointing it out guys, we added this worklog to Digg, so do OCC and Fueler a favor & be sure to click the digg link in the first post!

#17 hardnrg

hardnrg

Overclocking the i7... finally

• Honorary Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16487 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:42 PM

i want to live in your house man... i'll bring a sleeping bag and kip in yer workshop :lol:

( How To Ask A Question ) · ( [email protected] Sigpics ) · ( Rules ) · ( USB Bootdrive ) · ( Modding & Computer Stores ) · ( OCC facebook.png )
i7 920 D0 @ 21x196=4116, HT on · D-Tek Fuzion v1 · 3x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-10666 @ DDR1176, 8-8-8-22-1T
BFG/XFX GTX260 Maxcore SLI @ 756/1512/1188 (Swiftech MCW60-R + Swiftech GTX200) · Asus P6T Deluxe V2
X-Fi XtremeMusic (Hotrodded) · PCP&C Silencer 750

Athlon II X4 635 @ 2900 · 2x 2GB PC2-6400 · HD5550 1GB · Asus M4A77D · Antec Neopower 480

EeePC 1000H @ 12x164=1965 · 1x 2GB Corsair VS PC2-5300 · Gigabyte Aircruiser N300 GN-WI06N

#18 Celcius

Celcius

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:00 AM

Sounds like another interesting project.

Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.8ghz | Noctua NH-D14 | Asus Maximus IX Hero | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200mhz 14-14-14-34-2T | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro | 160GB Intel 320 Series SSD | Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti Founders Edition | Seasonic X750 | CaseLabs Merlin SM8 | X-Fi Titanium HD | Win 10 Pro 64-bit | LG 27UK600 | Creative T40 | Corsair K70 w/ Cherry MX brown switches | Logitech G400s | Audio Technica ATH-AD700

#19 Fueler

Fueler

I should find something better to do with my money

• Folding Member
  • 725 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:15 AM

Back again. Made pretty good progress on the case last nite so I'll try to catch you up real quick.

I picked up a nice piece of red oak at The Home Depot and cut the top and bottom end caps.

Posted Image

I don't have any room in my office to set the PC except on the floor so to make it easier to vacumn the carpet I'm going to put the PC on wheels. I already have two 1' x 1 1/2" x 1/4" steel bars to mount the wheels on from a previous rig, so I saved a little time not having to make them again. They are just ugly painted steel bars though so I don't want to have to look at them. To accomplish this I'm going to cut a recess into the bottom wood end cap so the bars will sit flush with the bottom and then make some aluminum caps to cover the ends of the bars that will stick out from the bottom of the case.

My benchtop mill has a 10" range of movement from left to right unfortunately the cut I needed to make was 10 1/4", so to finish the cut I had to unclamp everything and move it over a little just to cut that last little bit.

Posted Image

To make the end caps for the steel bars I had to cut a couple of pieces from some 3" 6061 aluminum bar stock. It takes the band saw about 45 minutes to make one cut through this stuff but if you have ever tried to make a straight cut by hand with a hack saw then you would know that you can't and even if you made it through then your arms would feel like rubber. As it is the band saw makes a nearly perfect cut and I kept busy with other things while it whacked away.

Posted Image

An hour and a half later I had two aluminum disks. Next I popped them onto the lathe, cleaned up the front and back surfaces and also cut them to the exact same width.

Posted Image

From here they went to the mill where I recessed the bottom so they would also fit flush with the bottom of the case, then back to the band saw to be cut into four half moons. This is what I ended up with.

Posted Image

Earlier, while the aluminum was getting cut, I made the mounting plate for the motherboards. (I used a piece of aluminum I had left over after cutting a window in my sons WaveMaster case) The boards will be centered in the middle of the case.

Posted Image

Next I fit up the motherboards, drilled the mounting plate and installed the studs that the boards will mount to (I'll use acorn nuts to fasten the boards down)

So this is how it looks so far.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is what I ment when I said I wanted everything to be flush with the bottom of the case. If you look real close between the bottom of the case and the counter top you can see all the dirty dishes that have been piling up in my sink because I've been too busy working and trying to finish this case :lol:

Posted Image

I've gotten a little further on the case than this but the pics are still in my camera so I'll try to get some more posted later today B:)

#20 kingdingeling

kingdingeling

King of the Autobahn

• Folding Member
  • 10258 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:18 AM

NICE, that looks like a really solid build!

lovin' the dishes ;)

I guess I have no excuse for not being as awesome as King... - iKillSteal

Seriously, big credit goes out to King for maintaining this list. He puts a lot of work into this thing and he deserves our thanks! - Verran

RIP

| ThinkPad X1 Carbon | Core i5-4210U | 8GB DDR3L-1600 | Intel HD4400 | 256GB SSD | 14" WQHD |

#21 capthowdy575

capthowdy575

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:22 AM

thats pretty cool that your building your own case for folding its looking pretty nice cant wait to see when its done good luck :foldon:

}computer Specs{

CPU -I2500k 4.6 at 1.3v

MOBO - Asus P8P67 pro rev 3.1

RAM - Gskill 16 gig at 1866 mhz

GPU -MSI Armor 1080 2015core/5005mem

PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower 650watts

CASE - coolmaster haf XM

Jeep buid;

http://www.jeepforum...stions-3896442/

#22 ClayMeow

ClayMeow

Member Title Exceeds Member Title Character Limit

• Review Editor
  • 19463 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:24 AM

Posted Image

everyone likes a build by Fueler!

:withstupid: :withstupid: Looks awesome so far...no surprise there though. When I read the first post, I was going to suggest/ask whether you'd be mounting the mobos back-to-back, but it looks like that's what you'll be doing :). Looks cool, can't wait to see more!!

PS. I didn't see if you stated this, but what PSU will you be using? I know you'll probably be creating one of you own as you have in the past, but I'm more curious about wattage. I assume you'll be going for something in the range of a 1KW PSU?

CMt.png
- Steam - Raptr - Xfire - GameSpot - Kongregate - IGN Blog -
- ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe - i7 3770k - NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti - 16GB DDR3-1866MHz - Acer Predator X34 -
::: Follow OCC on facebook.png ::: OCC Xfire Clan ::: OCC Steam Community Group ::: OCC Rules :::

::: OCC E3 2013 Awards ::: CES 2013 ::: COMPUTEX 2010 :::

::: NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Review ::: Acer Predator X34 Review :::

#23 Fueler

Fueler

I should find something better to do with my money

• Folding Member
  • 725 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:38 AM

:withstupid: :withstupid: Looks awesome so far...no surprise there though. When I read the first post, I was going to suggest/ask whether you'd be mounting the mobos back-to-back, but it looks like that's what you'll be doing :) . Looks cool, can't wait to see more!!

PS. I didn't see if you stated this, but what PSU will you be using? I know you'll probably be creating one of you own as you have in the past, but I'm more curious about wattage. I assume you'll be going for something in the range of a 1KW PSU?

I used an online wattage calculator (thanks for the link Roadrunner) and found out that at full load I would need just a tick under 500watts to run this thing. Now I wouldn't try this with just any power supply but I had a PC Power and Cooling 510 atx laying around and I'm hoping that it can do the trick. If not then I'll just have to get a bigger PS. B:)

#24 ClayMeow

ClayMeow

Member Title Exceeds Member Title Character Limit

• Review Editor
  • 19463 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:42 AM

Wow, sounds risky, but then again, I guess you don't have any power-hungry videocards in there, and like you said, you're using a P&C.

CMt.png
- Steam - Raptr - Xfire - GameSpot - Kongregate - IGN Blog -
- ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe - i7 3770k - NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti - 16GB DDR3-1866MHz - Acer Predator X34 -
::: Follow OCC on facebook.png ::: OCC Xfire Clan ::: OCC Steam Community Group ::: OCC Rules :::

::: OCC E3 2013 Awards ::: CES 2013 ::: COMPUTEX 2010 :::

::: NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Review ::: Acer Predator X34 Review :::