It's Modding Time Again

VERY nice, especially the see-through backplate! :thumbs-up:

:withstupid: When I first looked at it, I didnt even notice it was there. Pretty cool idea. I expected something a little more conventional but I reconsidered once I remembered your other work :D

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're amazing, dont take that with any hint of modesty. the precision in which you build and design seems pretty immaculate, especially for having such a lack of drawings or prints :P . im suprised you kept that acrylic unscathed, the stuff scratches pretty easy. very nice work.

Ahhh it's saturday and it's cold and raining outside so I have nothing better to do than to stay holed up in my garage and do some modding.

I started off digging through my boxes of PC junk and after an hour or so (I wasn't in any kind of hurry) finally came across what I was looking for....four accessory LED's with the leads still intact. I want to use these for the "Power and Hard Drive Activity" indicators. Now I just needed to figure out a clever way to incorporate them into the design.

Well after awhile nothing clever had popped into my head so I moved on to something else :lol:

I had these PC's up and running on my kitchen counter for a week or so and they run hot with no air movement around them but with just a little air blown on them they cool down quickly. My original thought was to mount a fan onto each side panel so that they blow air directly onto the mobo's but what good is it to have side panels that are easy to remove if you have to fumble around to unplug the fans everytime you pull them off.

The new plan is to mount the fans above the mobo's on a bracket so that they will sit flush with the sidepanels and pull air through a vent in the panel. This way I can pull the panels on and off and the fans stay where they are.

I dug up a piece of aluminum (another left over from the WaveMaster) cut out a couple of rectangular sections and started shaping them into brackets.

Folding-Rig_45.jpg

After I finished with them I thought they looked a little plain so I figured what the heck and and carved a little plug for my favorite forum into them B:)

Folding-Rig_46.jpg

I pluged them into the mobo's at first but the led's pulsed like a strobe light and that would just give me a headacke so I hooked them up directly to the PSU and stuck a giant overkill 10w 50ohm ceramic resistor into the circuit to slow them down to nearly dead silence.

Folding-Rig_47.jpg

And here they are mounted.

Folding-Rig_48.jpg

Folding-Rig_49.jpg

I will be out of town for the next week on business so this will probably be my last update until next weekend (I hate leaving things unfinished but I gotta go) B:)

..My original thought was to mount a fan onto each side panel so that they blow air directly onto the mobo's but what good is it to have side panels that are easy to remove if you have to fumble around to unplug the fans everytime you pull them off.

That's the sort of thing that has put me off mounting side panel fans as well.

You've come up with a nice solution that gets the OCC name into the design as well. occlove34pc.gif

If you did want to keep the fans attached to the side panels and not have to fiddle every time you removed them,

would it be possible to simply move the power connector to a point of contact between the panel and the case?

For example, incorporate it into a side panel latch so that when it clicked into place the fan would get power.

Understand what I'm trying to say?

Anyway, great work so far as always and we are all looking forward to seeing it finished.

If you did want to keep the fans attached to the side panels and not have to fiddle every time you removed them,

would it be possible to simply move the power connector to a point of contact between the panel and the case?

For example, incorporate it into a side panel latch so that when it clicked into place the fan would get power.

Understand what I'm trying to say?

I don't see why it couldn't be done....I had a Mercury Villager that used spring loaded contacts in the sliding door because there was no way to run wire on a door that moves four feet back and forth. It basicaly had two spring loaded copper contacts on the door that stuck out about a 1/4" and a plate on the door post with two contact points....when the door was slammed shut they made contact. B:)