Overclocking my A64 3000+ - Need some advice

Nedlinin

Well, just got around to finally overclocking my processor on my old aging A64(Im too poor to go C2D <_< )

Ive gotten it up to 250FSB and... well, just look at the picture below :-p

post-12468-1172336331_thumb.jpg

No stability issues so far, but I did notice my 3.3V according to speedfan was running... low >< - I have a cheapo powersupply, so its no surprise really, but I was wondering about how this could harm my system and its components if I leave it running at such a low voltage

Now, assuming it wont do too much harm to the system, I was hoping to push the overclock a bit further...

post-12468-1172336517_thumb.jpg

Temperatures on load hit about 45C... I was told that 70 is the absolute max for an A64, and I was shooting for somewhere around the 50C mark for mine before calling it quits

My question is, referring to the picture with the CPU-Z window... you can see I have my FSB at 251MHZ and the HT speed is 4(in order to give the HT Link a clock of 1004MHZ) - Now I know that you want to keep the HT below 1000, but the only way I know how to get a faster FSB clock and keep the HT below 1000 is to drop the HT Multi to 3x - I was wondering if this is the most effective way, and at what point exactly dropping the HT Multi is too low(if any.. If the speed in the end is still 1000Mhz there is no performance LOSS is there?)

Haha sorry for all the noob questions... but, like I said... I dont have the money for a new C2D setup and Id prefer to get the best I can out of this rig for another 5 or 6 months until I graduate and can make my parents hook me up with a new rig of my choice :thumbs-up:

So, any suggestions?

in truth with that setup, what you've achieved is no small task.

however as a "small" and inexpensive upgrade to that chip, you may want to check around local pc shops or even ebay for a 3700 san diego. higher overclocks than the winchester core are normal.

in truth with that setup, what you've achieved is no small task.

Haha well I was hoping to be able to push yet a little more out of it, but because of the lowered voltages on the 3.3v I was wondering if Id be at risk of losing my computer altogether

however as a "small" and inexpensive upgrade to that chip, you may want to check around local pc shops or even ebay for a 3700 san diego. higher overclocks than the winchester core are normal.

I was hoping to stick with all the components from this computer for the time being - I am trying to save up for a car :rolleyes: My next CPU will hopefully go into a brand new system

if stable, it's a respectable overclock on a 3000 winchester... very respectable... 25% with no Vcore increase is a promising start... i assume you have the HZ sticks? gskill do a few pc4000 sticks i think

the difference between 750MHz and 1000MHz HTT is like 0.1% performance if that... it doesn't seem to make any difference so don't worry about dropping it :)

post up your ram timings and voltage... also, if you can get a bios photo/list of the dram config section that'd be cool... also remember in the Neo2 bios, unless you have a custom/hacked/modified bios*, there is a "secret" unlocking mode (Shift+F2, Alt+F3) which reveals some settings which affect stability... i can't remember what they are, but you need to have them set a certain way for higher oc's...

Edited by hardnrg

if stable, it's a respectable overclock on a 3000 winchester... very respectable... 25% with no Vcore increase is a promising start... i assume you have the HZ sticks? gskill do a few pc4000 sticks i think
Ive been using it for various activites for the past... 12 hours or so at these speeds and have only noticed something go wrong once(Opera crashed...thats about it) - Havent had the chance to do a torture test of any sorts though -- I didnt up the Vcore at all figuring it would make the temps shoot upwards and as you said, I dont have too much headroom there :( - And yes, they are the HZ sticks :)
the difference between 750MHz and 1000MHz HTT is like 0.1% performance if that... it doesn't seem to make any difference so don't worry about dropping it

Thanks for the answer there - I wasnt sure if having my HTT at 800Mhz and gaining some Mhz on the clock speed was actually a gain or not -- Nice to know :)

post up your ram timings and voltage...
post-12468-1172358720_thumb.jpg

Voltage is set to auto in the BIOS(Which it sticks it at... 2.7 according to the MSI Core Center utility

also, if you can get a bios photo/list of the dram config section that'd be cool...

Afraid I dont have a camera to photo it... andd everything in the Dram section is still set to auto as well - I havent gotten around to tweaking anything there 0o... Dont honestly know what to tweak there yet haha

also remember in the Neo2 bios, unless you have a custom/hacked/modified bios*, there is a "secret" unlocking mode (Shift+F2, Alt+F3) which reveals some settings which affect stability... i can't remember what they are, but you need to have them set a certain way for higher oc's...
There...is? :glare: :glare: :glare: I...uh... I knew that.... *runs off to try it*

oh yes... you HAVE to set the Neo2 at 67MHz AGP for it to lock the PCI and AGP clocks... if you put it on 66MHz then the AGP/PCI clocks are relative to the fsb/htt... so you will eventually corrupt some data on the harddrives and/or crash your graphics bus

here's a thread that i found very useful when i was overclocking on my k8n neo2 with a 3200 winchester: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43033

it's quite long, but a testament to one of the first decent overclocking boards, although it's longevity may now be questionable... i and several other have experienced diminished overclocks and boot problems, but i digress...

try a few methods of applying the paste... always clean both the cpu and heatsink with some isopropyl alcohol (if you don't have any, go to the chemist/drugstore and get some, it's amazing lol)... the 3 main methods to me are:

* small blob in the centre of the IHS (cpu heatspreader), mount heatsink and let the paste magically be spread by the pressure

* a translucent, extremely thin, even application over the entire IHS surface, heatsink applied with care to not spoil your work of art :lol:

* a hybrid of the two... spreading a little, out to a small circle, not entirely covering the IHS

Edited by hardnrg

oh yes... you HAVE to set the Neo2 at 67MHz AGP for it to lock the PCI and AGP clocks... if you put it on 66MHz then the AGP/PCI clocks are relative to the fsb/htt... so you will eventually corrupt some data on the harddrives and/or crash your graphics bus

...oops?... Well I uh... err... be right back!

try a few methods of applying the paste... always clean both the cpu and heatsink with some isopropyl alcohol (if you don't have any, go to the chemist/drugstore and get some, it's amazing lol)... the 3 main methods to me are:

* small blob in the centre of the IHS (cpu heatspreader), mount heatsink and let the paste magically be spread by the pressure

* a translucent, extremely thin, even application over the entire IHS surface, heatsink applied with care to not spoil your work of art :lol:

* a hybrid of the two... spreading a little, out to a small circle, not entirely covering the IHS

I was using the first as Im not exactly delicate when it comes to being able to put a heatsink on >< - Ill try and reseat it tomorrow sometime and see if it gives me any improvement

In the meantime, any other tips? :typing: (<---TCK icon.. but it works in this situation too)

Thanks again for the help :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I managed to get myself down to 30degrees idle and JUST above 40 on load(41 to be exact) - Jumped myself up another 200Mhz so Im now sitting at 2.4Ghz for my A64 3000+ -- Not too bad so I am told...

Im not bothering going any higher as I dont think Id see any performance increase considering my puny graphics card :( -- Guess Ill have to wait for a new rig to play all those shiney new games coming out soon :-p

Thanks again for the help everyone :)