Overclocking my E4300

Comp Dude2

Right so atm i am still on stock cooling which means that i will probably have to remain on stock volts to keep the temps down but i still have been having limited sucess.

So far i have managed to get a stable clock (only tested for 1hr 30mins so not 100% sure it is stable but ok) at 1980mhz. using an fsb of 220. However when i tried pushing further to 2070 it crashed in OCCT after 43 mins so i took it back down again. Also i tried a clock of 2160, but that failed OCCT in 10 seconds, and then again in 3 mins so it is definatly unstable.

However as everyone is going on about how Core2's are such good overclockers i think this proformance is pretty crap and i should be able to go further, even with stock volts. So i was wondering what you guys think could be the problem and what is holding me back. It shouldn't really be the mobo because although it isn't the best it should be easily able to take a fsb of 240 and much more without becoming unstable (max is 700 but that is a bit unrealistic) I thought it might be the northbridge getting too hot so i will see about getting a little 40mm fan to stick on it and also might get a bettter heatsink whenever i get into this a bit more.

But as for now it should be doing better and i wanna know why

my rig details are in my sig.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What setting and timings are you using on the RAM? Try 1:1 if your not already, and RAM voltage? Set the RAM timings on 5-5-5-12 and the rest to auto except that one setting that wants number set it to 0, Leave the video card on auto, set the MCH to +.1 and FSB to +.1 and what kind of temps are we talking about? And a fan on the NB will help.

Edited by road-runner

ok, well ram is supposed to do 5-5-5-12 (as in sig) however it is actually running at 5-5-5-16 according to cpu-z, i suppose i could drop it down but i assumed this might cause more stability problems? As for the clock speed, i am making sure it is kept below 800 to make sure it is not overclocked. Voltage is stock at 1.8v

temps, well i am using core temp as well a the intel thermal analysis tool, but they are reading miles apart. ITAT will read about 20 degrees higher than core temp, usually about 68 at 100% load, while core temp won't go over 50ish. i dunno which one to believe but i have the cpu temp alarm in the bios set to go off at 60 but it hasn't so far so ITAT is reading higher than the bios. Which should i believe?

Oh yeah, and just a quick update. I got the thing to boot with a fsb of 300 (dropped the multi to 6 to aviod ocing it for the time being) however it crashed during OCCT testing after 1 min.....

Edited by Comp Dude2

I would think ITAT thats what I use. Manually set the timings 1:1, 5-5-5-15, and set the volts for what the RAM calls for. I run mine about .3 volts over. I bet you are going to have to get better cooling but you still should get some what of an OC on stock vcore

Update: Well i got a 40mm fan to put on the northbridge but it doesn't work so i need to take it back to the shop, will post agian whenever i get a working one. Btw guys how much of difference do you think it will make and what can i do if it doesn't make the mobo stable enough to get a decent overclock?

• 2 weeks later...

I almost guarantee you, given the point where you're going unstable, that the problem is that you didn't manually change your FSB::DRAM ratio. Your DRAM is probably approaching 880, which is about the kill point for non-$200 RAM. I'm a novice myself, and I just started a 4300 build and topped out at the ~2015 range the first time, too. I couldn't figure it out for the longest time, but when I lowered the RAM ratio to 2:3, and then 3:4 and 1:1, it basically unleashed the potential of the processor. You should be able to get to 3ghz without breaking a sweat with the 4300, even with stock cooling. I got my 4300 operating at 24 idle/39 load on 3ghz, completely stable, stock voltages, albeit with a TR Ultra 120. You might get higher temps, but it should still be stable, unless you've got a completely crap motherboard limiting your overclocking.

At the very, very, very most, you'll need to up the vcore slightly, but I highly doubt that's the problem. Change your ratio and you'll be golden.

EDIT: On second thought, you're running the exact same motherboard as I am. Just change the ratio.

Edited by Still Naive

i am making sure it is kept below 800 to make sure it is not overclocked.

I am pretty sure it hasn't been overclocked (the thing even tells you immediately what speed it will run so i am sure it is not being overclocked. Also i have had it running with an fsb of 300. If i had kept the ram at its stock devided and not changed it this would put my ram at 1200Mhz, now call me pesimistic but i don't think it would even post at that speed.

The problem i rekon is heat, people say don't let it go over 60 and mine hovers around 69 regulary when overclocked so i am trying to get new goo to reseat the heatsink and then possibly a new heatsink.

Btw, i notice you are running a Thermalright Ultra 120 :)

Edited by Comp Dude2