News on Windows SMP Folding

road-runner

Version 6 should be an interesting upgrade. There's been a lot of grumbling about points on the folding community forums and lots of ideas tossed around, but as Dr. Pande said, I guarantee you there will be grumbling, esp. from those who put points before science. It will be interesting to see if they will reward those who fold 24/7 and turn in work units well befor the deadline. Whatever the result, my rigs will still be on 24/7 until I can't pay for the electricity anymore.

Version 6 should be an interesting upgrade. There's been a lot of grumbling about points on the folding community forums and lots of ideas tossed around, but as Dr. Pande said, I guarantee you there will be grumbling, esp. from those who put points before science. It will be interesting to see if they will reward those who fold 24/7 and turn in work units well before the deadline. Whatever the result, my rigs will still be on 24/7 until I can't pay for the electricity anymore.

There will always be someone to grumble in anything in life. I love the competition as much as anyone else but what I do not understand is we all have to do the same WUs they give us with the points per WU they decide so its not like its unfair or anything. Everyone has the same playing field. I guess thats where people forget that its for science. If you want more points add more machines and science benefits also. I also will fold until I can not afford electricity. I got the two Conroes and two dual cores using SMP to get rid of some of the old rigs and guess what, I have not shut down a single rig yet just added is all I did and probably will not until its gets so warm I have to. :foldon:

I bet there will still be better performance for people who run it on straight up Linux, not this VMWare stuff.

I have it that way on two rigs and it sure seems a lot quicker. I get error messages sometimes in non GUI mode that the text can not be displayed. The E6300 @ 3ghz done its first WU a 2604, 12-13 minutes a frame. The Pentium D 915 @ 3.5ghz with straight up Linux also takes 20-21 minutes a frame. Both in non GUI mode. :foldon: