karaoke MIC

KillTheInnocent

as weird of a topic as this is, here goes . . . i have a friend who loves karaoke and she loves recording herself, shes not bad <_< , but her recordings sound really cruddy w/ static n butloads of background noise, now shes fine w/ it but if im gonna b forced to hear her singing i dont wanna end up getting bloody ears, so im tryin to get her a nice karaoke style mic one that cancels out a lot of the background noise, mayb smthn for under $100 if its possible, the static i found was being made by her soundcard, she currently uses a stand up logitech 3.5mm mic, so would USB b better?

I used a desktop mic for the longest time and had the same problems as you are describing. However, if you have a radio shack near by, check them out. I bought an omni-directional mic, a stand for it, and a sound/noise filter (fluffy covering for the mic) for around $35 US. To make it fit with the 3.5mm connection, I had a spare adapter laying around that was left over from a pair of headphones. The sound is fantastic. My friends have been impressed with the difference in sound using programs such as ventrilo or teamspeak. Just something to check out. On another note, disable/mute/lower the volume of the other ports that she isn't using as well. These would include the line-in, aux-in, digital, etc that would possibly add noise and pick up static sound from the outside environment. If her voice seems too quiet afterwards, then you may need to get an amplifier to pre-amp the mic before it reaches the computer. Hope this helps.