Help with new folding rigs

Fueler

(This maybe should have been posted in another area but since it concerns folding I posted it here....if a mod want to move it ....that's OK :rolleyes: )

I was very late to the SMP party (been having some health issues) but I finally got with the program and set up the only dual core machine I have, my son's gaming rig (WaveMaster Mod). The results are just stunning....This one machine is keeping up with ten other folding rigs stuck in 21xx h*ll. My electric bill is high already and with summer around the corner here in FL it's only going to get worse.

I have decided to shut 8 of my rigs down, a few I can find homes for the rest I will donate to local charities. This doesn't mean I'm going to quit folding but I am going to upgrade and cut my electric bill too. I want to build two dedicated linux rigs based on the E6300 Conroe cpu. Where I could use some help is finding a good mobo for this. It can be an ATX or mini ATX but I would like it to support the 1066mhz FSB and also have integrated graphics. I don't necessarily want a "cheap" board but low cost would be nice. If you have any ideas let'm rip :foldon:

Edit: These will probably end up being a new mod for the modding section

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ordered a E6300, Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, rig myself for the same reason. If I was not going to OC it I would have ordered the GA-965G-DS3 it has on board graphics but kills the over clocking. :foldon:

Edited by road-runner

I just ordered a E6300, Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, rig myself for the same reason. If I was not going to OC it I would have ordered the GA-965G-DS3 it has on board graphics but kills the over clocking. :foldon:

I'll check it out....since I don't plan to OC the GA-965G-DS3 would be alright but I would like to find something like that in a mini atx if possible B:)

The Gigabyte in mini atx and on board video would be this one I guess?

Now were getting somewhere.....that's a nice looking board too....if I do this I would like to put both PC's in one custom case, that's why I would prefer a mini atx mobo. :foldon:

Anyother suggestions out there?

Edit: While I'm at it what's the best memory setup for this.....right now I have my one SMP machine set up for 512MB (with VMware & ubuntu) It's finishing WU's with 75% to 80% of the time left to complete....so would that be good enough?

Another thing I am going to do on a few of my old rigs is take my 450, 480, 500 watt PSUs and run two boards with one power supply

I was thinking about that too only I was wondering if I could run two E6300s off of one PSU. The only other thing it would have to power is two HDs and a CD.

Also do I have to run the memory in two channel mode or would single channel mode be OK?

Edit: Is there a 24pin "Y" adaptor available to make this a little easier?

I guess single channel is ok I have several rigs that are dual channel and running single channel 256mb of RAM. I have been searching for those wye cables with no luck, I guess I am going to have to make them. Heres a PSU calculator. But I am like you the price of electric has went up and my bill is over $400 a month and its not even summer time yet. I am sure you can run two E6300s with one PSU but what size would it have to be? 700 watt or more? Thats 350 X 2 = 700 watt?

Is there a 24pin "Y" adaptor available to make this a little easier?

Does that really matter? Though there are some 20 pin versions out and directions for making one in a few places on the net. But really why would YOU of all ppl want to buy soemthing like that :lol:

I've only got two otehr things to say, 1 make sure the drivers for your hardware are supported by linux, if your a linux n00b and you get hardware that's not out of the box supported it may be a total PITA (VMware emulates things like LAN and VGA so at least we dont have that problem there).

Also i havent looked at the price, but I LOVE this Intel DG965WH for stock speeds, great board overall (and you CAN run ram above 1.8V with a BIOS flash :D) and heck the onboard video for the 965G is actually GOOD, not that it matter here, but just an overall comment, anyway there's a mATX verion of this board out there somwhere so be sure to check its price with the Gigabyte if you decide not to OC.

Oh and 512MB of ram should be plenty, my Ubuntu systems havent used much over 256mb with full usage so for fodling only there sould be no problem with 512mb (all of mine are set for 512 under VMware aswell).

Does that really matter? Though there are some 20 pin versions out and directions for making one in a few places on the net. But really why would YOU of all ppl want to buy soemthing like that :lol:

I've only got two otehr things to say, 1 make sure the drivers for your hardware are supported by linux, if your a linux n00b and you get hardware that's not out of the box supported it may be a total PITA (VMware emulates things like LAN and VGA so at least we dont have that problem there).

Also i havent looked at the price, but I LOVE this Intel DG965WH for stock speeds, great board overall (and you CAN run ram above 1.8V with a BIOS flash :D) and heck the onboard video for the 965G is actually GOOD, not that it matter here, but just an overall comment, anyway there's a mATX verion of this board out there somwhere so be sure to check its price with the Gigabyte if you decide not to OC.

Oh and 512MB of ram should be plenty, my Ubuntu systems havent used much over 256mb with full usage so for fodling only there sould be no problem with 512mb (all of mine are set for 512 under VMware aswell).

I've been looking at the intel boards (in fact I've been looking at alot of boards and now I have a headache)....what I don't understand is the difference between the different chipsets...945...965...975...Is there something I'm going to need or miss out on if I go with one over the other? What I really want to build is a machine that is not in anyway crippled when it comes to folding but I couldn't care less about bells and whistles B:)

Edit: Yeah I could make the harness but the idea of having to solder in 24 wires isn't too appealing and I would still need to dig up a connector :lol: