P180 Stock Fans

oldfett

I have an Antec P180 and I love it. However the front fan on it is starting to make noise, probably from a bad bearing. I need to replace this fan as the buzzing is starting to get annoying and it dies whenever it wishes. While I am replacing this fan, would getting some other fans be better than the stock fans? I have the three stock Antec Tri-cool 120mm fans, and I am unsure of if I should replace them all with some better fans, or just keep them as is.

Thanks for the help.

I also have a P180 and personally love the stock fans, mainly because they push a lot of air while being very quiet. The only fans I would ever consider replacing them with would be Panaflo.

Since you want silence over performance, I suggest sticking with the stock fans. If you want better cooling, then take a look at Panaflo.

I'd just leave them in there for know. It might be a good idea to order replacement fans just in case the other ones break. I use to have an Antec Tri-cool 120mm fan (came with my case) but after about 6 months it started having similar problems like yours is having know the fan was also not speeding up to full speed even thought the switch was on full so I had to replace it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest christopher3393

The P180 was designed by Antec in cooperation with Mike Chin of Silent PC Review. Mike doesn't recommend the stock Antec fans, however. He would recommend Nexus, Noctua, or Scythe S-flex. The question would be how much airflow you need. 1200rpm fans that move 40-50 cfm at about 24dB would do it for you. The Nexus run a little slower and move a little less air. Both Noctua and Scythe S-flex are very high quality fans that will run quieter and last much longer than the Antec fans. Their cfm will match the Tri-cool at medium speed. If you a fan that moves as much air as the Antec on high, Scythe makes a 1600rpm fan and the already mentioned Panaflo would be similar: both would run quieter than the Antec on high.

I am having troubles with one or maybe two of them, I am unsure if they are off balance or what, but you have to cycle them on and off until they function correctly. I love my computer to be nearly inaudible so if I did replace them they would have to be very quite, however I want the best performance possible. I like the looks of the Scythe S-flex, very quite yet they have a nice CFM, I might have to look into those. Any other opinions on what I should look at?