Overclock Celeron D 356 3.33GHz

RoxorVoxor

Ok, another first timer here with self taught limited knowledge. How do I (and is it worth it to) overclock my CPU... here are some specs:

Intel Celeron D 356 3.33GHz CPU w/533 MHz FSB (Socket 775) [New in box... I know, voids the warranty]

PCChips P23G mobo w/1066 MHz FSB, VIA P4M800Pro/8237R Chipset, up to 2GHz DDR2 and 2Ghz DDR (4 slots total) and supports all Intel CPU including DuoCore [New in box]

I plan on running my CPU fan [used but good] as well as 2 case fans [one older pulled from a one year old Dell that got struck with lightening...still functions properly, another new in box with variable speed and thermostat to be placed on top of CPU]. I do eventually plan on purchasing a DuoCore CPU, just don't have the cash right now and the Celeron D came with the mobo. What is the potential for this CPU without burning it up... I believe Celerons can be a little more unstable when overclocked. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Ok, another first timer here with self taught limited knowledge. How do I (and is it worth it to) overclock my CPU... here are some specs:

Intel Celeron D 356 3.33GHz CPU w/533 MHz FSB (Socket 775) [New in box... I know, voids the warranty]

PCChips P23G mobo w/1066 MHz FSB, VIA P4M800Pro/8237R Chipset, up to 2GHz DDR2 and 2Ghz DDR (4 slots total) and supports all Intel CPU including DuoCore [New in box]

I plan on running my CPU fan [used but good] as well as 2 case fans [one older pulled from a one year old Dell that got struck with lightening...still functions properly, another new in box with variable speed and thermostat to be placed on top of CPU]. I do eventually plan on purchasing a DuoCore CPU, just don't have the cash right now and the Celeron D came with the mobo. What is the potential for this CPU without burning it up... I believe Celerons can be a little more unstable when overclocked. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Well first of all you can start learning what to do by reading the OCing guide here on the website. Second I have a Celeron D and was able to clock it from 3.06GHz at 4 GHz stable, it was worth it a little bit. But if you ask me there isn't really any point of OCing a Celeron unless it's for fun. You won't really notice a difference in speed until you at least do a 400 to 500 MHz OC. The reason is due to its 256K cache. Compared to the P4's, PD's, C2D's you really notice a big peformance increase when OCing. I have had a motherboard similar to the one you have right now and those Via chipsets can't really OC for crap. The most you could do on that board is about a 400 MHz OC landing you in the 3.7 GHz to 3.8 GHz area, and anything pass that will probaly cause it to crash. And most chips usually get burned up cause to much voltage is applied and you don't have the proper cooling for it causing it to burn up. And not to flame or anything but I wouldn't even bother putting a Core 2 in the motherboard, it's just not worth it.

Edited by QueenzPCfreak90

But if you ask me there isn't really any point of OCing a Celeron unless it's for fun. You won't really notice a difference in speed until you at least do a 400 to 500 MHz OC. The reason is due to its 256K cache.

The 356, as well as all other 65nm Cedar Mill Celerons have 512k cache. He'll notice a difference with his OC as long as it's stable.

The 356, as well as all other 65nm Cedar Mill Celerons have 512k cache. He'll notice a difference with his OC asm long as it's stable.

256k or 512k it doesn't matter because that via chipset won't get him anywhere unless he wants to do only small OC's

256k or 512k it doesn't matter because that via chipset won't get him anywhere unless he wants to do only small OC's

First, thanks for the replies... second, sorry about missing the guide, I'll check it out. This is for fun as well as performance... I just don't have the money to put into a massive system but I do a lot of graphic work on my pc as well as music recording/creation so I need to squeeze all the performance out of it I can get, especially since I run mutliple programs at the same time that just tax the heck out of my system.

One of my main concerns is the overheating issue. I'm not going to install a water cooling system (I've been told by some that they aren't worth the money as far a performance anyway, they just look prettier) so my only option is to throw some fans on it. The new fan I got is 120mm, reading the temp right off of the processor, and it pushes up to 93 CFM at 2800 RPM. I've read online about memory overheating as a result of OC as well but I'm sure that is in your guide. Hmmm... I used to work in HVAC so maybe I can utilize some of that knowledge; ie installing a coil and loading it up with freon! LOL.... Anyway, I shall end there and get to reading... thanks again!

Ok, I just read the guide as well as some other helpful how-to-do's, watch me OC my RAM and GPU now (thanks, thanks a lot....) The one Dell I ripped apart had a duct for the case fan to the CPU so I might just mod that and use it as well as adding a fan to the top of the case. I'm also going to tie all my IDE cables for more air flow as I am not going for form but function. Any other helpful tips I should know that might not be covered?

I believe I have only two more questions; while it isn't expensive can I go without thermal paste if I smooth the bottom of the heatsink. Does anyone here have experience with not using paste? Ok, that was one question asked two different ways... the second: is there much of a difference in heat transfer between plexi-glass and aluminum? I haven't seen any scientific data to answer this question. Thanks again!

Ok, I just read the guide as well as some other helpful how-to-do's, watch me OC my RAM and GPU now (thanks, thanks a lot....) The one Dell I ripped apart had a duct for the case fan to the CPU so I might just mod that and use it as well as adding a fan to the top of the case. I'm also going to tie all my IDE cables for more air flow as I am not going for form but function. Any other helpful tips I should know that might not be covered?

I believe I have only two more questions; while it isn't expensive can I go without thermal paste if I smooth the bottom of the heatsink. Does anyone here have experience with not using paste? Ok, that was one question asked two different ways... the second: is there much of a difference in heat transfer between plexi-glass and aluminum? I haven't seen any scientific data to answer this question. Thanks again!

No Paste=BAD, you absolutely need paste. I tried to skimp out without using paste on a Presshot and it wouldn't even get into windows :( Thermal Paste makes a big difference. A jump from cheap stuff to the good stuff can be 3-5c!

And I'm not understanding you here, aluminum is a MASSIVE heat conductor/transferer, plexi glass inhibits heat

No Paste=BAD, you absolutely need paste. I tried to skimp out without using paste on a Presshot and it wouldn't even get into windows :( Thermal Paste makes a big difference. A jump from cheap stuff to the good stuff can be 3-5c!

And I'm not understanding you here, aluminum is a MASSIVE heat conductor/transferer, plexi glass inhibits heat

:withstupid: And who says water cooling is only about looks and not peformance!! I would love to meet the clown who said that. <_<

water cooling is NOT going to get you ANYWHERE extra. it's a HUGE risk that can easily cost you more than it's EVER worth. I flat out REFUSE to install it both for $$$ and in personal systems. it's quieter in some sitatuations.... but that's ALL. you want cooling either spending it on a big HSF or go phase. skip on water.

also did ANYONE look at the mobo? a LOW end budget mATX mobo.... for crying out loud it's NOT GOING TO OVERCLOCK well. and that's even assuming it HAS any options for overclocking... it's also a via chipset...

water cooling is NOT going to get you ANYWHERE extra. it's a HUGE risk that can easily cost you more than it's EVER worth. I flat out REFUSE to install it both for $$$ and in personal systems. it's quieter in some sitatuations.... but that's ALL. you want cooling either spending it on a big HSF or go phase. skip on water.

also did ANYONE look at the mobo? a LOW end budget mATX mobo.... for crying out loud it's NOT GOING TO OVERCLOCK well. and that's even assuming it HAS any options for overclocking... it's also a via chipset...

:withstupid: Even with my conroe @ 3.6ghz and my opteron 146 @ 3ghz, I am still deathly afraid of water :lol:

OMG that is what I have been trying to tell them this whole dang time :withstupid:

• 2 weeks later...

I have the celeron D 356 with a asus p5b and 2x 512 pc6400 ddr2 memory (twinmos twister) running at 4200 Mhz (25x168).

62 degrees max temperature with stock air cooling. It think it can go (much) faster, but this overclock is fine for me.

Edited by jelleman