New Router

capthowdy575

I need to connect two computers a xbox 360 and a wii to the internet and a ps3 soon. one pc and the three 360 and the ps3 will be wired and the other pc will be wireless and the wii is also wireless so i will need a good wireless router both computers will be running a dfi board one will be a new core 2 duo rig with the new dfi crossfire board. im looking for something that has a 1000mbps will be sharing very large files and i might need to take to a lan party or if i want to host my own. i only need a 4 port and i really dont know much about routers so im only looking to spend like 110 or 120 without shipping.

I need to connect two computers a xbox 360 and a wii to the internet and a ps3 soon. one pc and the three 360 and the ps3 will be wired and the other pc will be wireless and the wii is also wireless so i will need a good wireless router both computers will be running a dfi board one will be a new core 2 duo rig with the new dfi crossfire board. im looking for something that has a 1000mbps will be sharing very large files and i might need to take to a lan party or if i want to host my own. i only need a 4 port and i really dont know much about routers so im only looking to spend like 110 or 120 without shipping.

Your not going to get 1000mbps out of wireless.

nor are you going to find a router for that.

routers that support oc-12 (fiber) are in excess of $8000 for a basic one. they have gigabit out over the lan ports. however routers that are copper input based (t3, t1, dsl, cable) are ALL 100mb. why? cuz NONE of those inputs can even come close to 100mbps. no sense in going any higher and jacking the price up some more.

If you really want Gigabit network, do what we have set-up in our student house here:

Netgear 8-Port Gigabit Switch + Netgear Wireless 4-Port router

Plug the switch into one of the ports on the router, and plug all the PCs and consoles into the switch.

I believe the PS3 and possibly the Xbox360 support gigabit etherenet. So file transfer should be faster from them too.

imo, the giga bit switch is well worth it. Can transfer like 10 GB from my PC to my house mates in under 8 mins.

• 1 month later...

ok iv been looking around for a while and im thinking about the draft N or should i just wait for them instead of my pc being wireless im going to have the 360 ps3 and wii all be wireless and have the router im my game room. im looking at these following Routers if anyone has had any experience with a router that is better then the ones i have listed here and thanking you for all your help. o i almost forgot i have a spending limit of 200.00 USD not including shipping thanks.

The Linksys N 2.0 router that ComputerWorld tested was a gigabit router, and I believe it is going to retail in the $200-250 range. Otherwise, a gigabit switch directly connecting the gigabit-capable computers is your best bet.