Flash drives for vista

anyone got any recomendations on flash drives for vista? looking at the 4gb models but i have read about reliability issues with that. Any Suggestions on brand? model? capacity? im searching google for this to just wanted to see if anyone has experience with flash drives and vista.

The only real distinguishing factors for flash drives are read/write speeds and how they look, which is of course subjective.

I have the OCZ Rally (1GB) and it's really fast. I can transfer an entire gig in just a few moments, which is quite fast compared to the PNY Attache I used to have, which took at least twice as long.

Find a capacity you like and then get the fastest one you can afford. OCZ and Corsair make some solid products.

Another option you might want to go for is getting a larger capacity CompactFlash card and a USB card reader, especially if you plan on using this only for the SpeedBoost option in Vista.

• 3 weeks later...
i stuck my 1gb generic flash drive in my wifes pc the whole thing seem a bit of a gimmick better off buying some real ram

It isn't an instant boost. It's more of a gradual process as Vista learns your computing behavior and then optimizes the Prefetch files that get installed on the flash drive. So if you were to compare two installations of Vista, one with the flash drive and the other without, with the former having had the time to get used to your habits, then you will definitely notice a performance boost.

As for how MUCH of a performance boost you would get, I have no clue as I can't get myself to use Vista for more than an hour or two before I boot back into XP :P

I stuck my 8 GB memory stick pro duo in my reader/writer and used it on windows readyboost and opened some selected applications and still saw no difference in the speed of it opening with or without the readyboost. Just to simplify it for you "WINDOWS READY BOOST IS A WASTE AND DOESN'T WORK AS GOOD AS MICROSOFT SAID IT WOULD". Your better off getting more RAM for the price you will pay for a 4GB Flashdrive.

I stuck my 8 GB memory stick pro duo in my reader/writer and used it on windows readyboost and opened some selected applications and still saw no difference in the speed of it opening with or without the readyboost. Just to simplify it for you "WINDOWS READY BOOST IS A WASTE AND DOESN'T WORK AS GOOD AS MICROSOFT SAID IT WOULD". Your better off getting more RAM for the price you will pay for a 4GB Flashdrive.

See below.

It isn't an instant boost. It's more of a gradual process as Vista learns your computing behavior and then optimizes the Prefetch files that get installed on the flash drive. So if you were to compare two installations of Vista, one with the flash drive and the other without, with the former having had the time to get used to your habits, then you will definitely notice a performance boost.

As for how MUCH of a performance boost you would get, I have no clue as I can't get myself to use Vista for more than an hour or two before I boot back into XP :P

if you can get more ram for the same price as a 4gb flash drive, i would imagine you are running PC2700 RAM...lol...4gb is

A friend of mine told me about this, I couldn't believe it, I mean, the fastest flash drives out there have what... a max speed of 25MB/s?

It wouldn't be that much of a difference would it? Heck, just using the HDD as page file works better

A friend of mine told me about this, I couldn't believe it, I mean, the fastest flash drives out there have what... a max speed of 25MB/s?

It wouldn't be that much of a difference would it? Heck, just using the HDD as page file works better

Good point. Guess this is just the precursor to NAND hybrid hard drives, which will be really useful for laptops as it'll increase battery life by having the hard drive spin less often.

NO NO NO I don't mean you could get 4GB of RAM for the same price as a 4GB flash drive!!

I knew what you meant. I still dont think you can get anything half decent for that amount ;)

as for page files, i guess flash drives will reduce the seek times on a hard disk by having the usb drive in there.