Sign in to follow this  
killhoar

a NEW NOOB (redundant) says hi

How about posting some specs so we can help you turn your system into an overclocked room heating system ;)

actually that is a great idea..i will have to add my system stuff right now. I was curious if my mem carbs were out of whack...but anyhow.,.going to post my specs!

ok i posted my specs....but just a quick question

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.4GHz

ASUS A8V DELUXE Socket 939 VIA K8T800 Pro ATX AMD Motherboard

Memory: 1536MB RAM

Kingston HyperX 512MB (2 x 256MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Dual Channel

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel

Card name: RADEON 9550

Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.

Chip type: ATI RADEON 9550 AGP (0x4153)

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER Limited Edition 70SB035000013 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS SB0350 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Speaker

Acer AL1703sm 2-Tone 17" 14ms LCD Monitor

Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive x2

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JB 250GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive x2

ok now i used to be just using the corsairs..but my other computer died of a heat issue...and i tossed on the 2x Kingstons...is this actually bumping up my RAM? or since they arent 512s? will 2x256 and 2x512s even be more benficial??

Take out the Kingston. Regardless of the 256 vs. 512, it's slower ram (PC2700) compared to the Corsairs (PC3200). My guess is that all of your RAM is thus running at 166MHz (PC2700 speeds), unless you were able to get some serious OCing out of those Kingstons.

Take out the Kingston. Regardless of the 256 vs. 512, it's slower ram (PC2700) compared to the Corsairs (PC3200). My guess is that all of your RAM is thus running at 166MHz (PC2700 speeds), unless you were able to get some serious OCing out of those Kingstons.

yeah i definately got the OPPOSITE results i was hoping for after i read your explanation. I understand now!

hmm since i will be taking the Kinstons off the mobo tonight, and they will just be sitting around...im gonna have to read up on OCing memory...since i would have some to play around with!

i am a NOOB and i have proof!

lol I'm going to put that as a quote in my sig, hahaha I love that line

1GB should be decent as it is. just skip the kensingtons as it is going to hurt your system, I really don't think you could push them up to PC3200 speeds, let alone get decent timings off of them :P

yeah thanks Kurosen! good point. Guess im just going to have to quit being a cheapo and find me some 3200 to buy <_< to toss in with the corsairs.

just try to find some stuff with equivalent speeds and CAS latency. your total RAM can only be as fast as the slowest stick. :P