Should I upgrade to Vista?

HoLoDreaM

Ok, I have a copy of Vista Home Premium full version.. The thing is, i am not sure I want to install it just yet.. I should be building a new computer within the next few months.. a new A64 rig.. If i did install it now, could I transfer it somehow to my new rig? Should I upgrade now or not?

Edited by HoLoDreaM

Ok, I have a copy of Vista Home Premium full version.. The thing is, i am not sure I want to install it just yet.. I should be building a new computer within the next few months.. a new A64 rig.. If i did install it now, could I transfer it somehow to my new rig? Should I upgrade now or not?

If you are wanting to test drive it and see how Vista is and what it has to offer your self, then I say yes. Just set it up as Dual Boot. Otherwise no because Vista still has some terrible driver support, and still needs some fixes here and there, and some of the bugs need to be worked out. I say give it about 6 months to a year or so. Just stick with XP as your main OS right now.

Edited by QueenzPCfreak90

If you're happy with XP and have everything the way you want it, don't bother with Vista. I still wouldn't bother with it for a new rig atm. I tried Vista Ultimate yesterday, and in my opinion, it was a rather disapointing experience. It's too bloated and uses way too much ram even once it's stripped down. (all unneeded services stopped etc.)

The whole nagging for the account protection thing (account management, I believe?) is an annoyance. It asks you to verify almost everything. I was relatively surprised that it didn't ask for verification to refresh the screen or right click. Of course you can stop it, but then it nags you to turn it back on. It won't go away either; at least not that I could see.

You can read just about any review, specifically the CNET review, and get the just of it. It offers too little for what it takes. Not a whole lot of 3rd party hardware support yet either. So unless all your hardware works fine with default MS drivers, if they have any, it's a pita to get everything working right.

So imho, skip Vista for now.

For starters, I don't understand how everybody is complaining about poor driver support. Ever since RC1 I have yet to experience any issues with any of my hardware. Either the manufacturer has released a Vista driver or Microsoft's version works great.

Holodream, do you have the retail or the OEM version? If the OEM, then I would suggest waiting on your new computer (I'm assuming you'll be getting a new motherboard). If the retail version, then by all means, just try it out by dual booting with Windows XP.

As for Ubuntu or Knoppix. Both offer Live CDs, so just download and try out both and pick the one you like better.