dying hdd

sYstEmATiC

ok im working on a wd 160gb ide drive that is obviously failing and i am trying to get all of my uncles data off before it stops working period. WHEN it lets me access the stuff on the drive it brings the system in my sig to its knees and sometimes stops responding while it "trys" to read it. its giving alot of "cyclic redundancy errors" or something very similar and then i have to reboot to access it again. i was able to get all 4gigs of his pics after a few tries but its getting to the point where its not letting me get anything and ive tried the freezer thing twice now. anyone got any ideas on how to get 15 or so gigs of music off of this thing before it craps out? for good? or is it too late?

thanks.

Sounds to me like it's *already* crapped out, but good luck :P

EDIT: If you're familiar with Linux, or anything UNIX-like, you may be able to use `dd` (or some other third party tool maybe, but I think dd will work) to dump the disk to a file, while skipping bad blocks. What you do with the image after I don't know. You *may* be able to mount it afterwards and get stuff off of it, you may not....

Edited by markiemrboo