*drive 1/4 mile*

*turn left*

*drive 1/4 mile*

*turn left*

*drive 1/4 mile*

*turn left*

...etc

:P

Seriously though, that first rally video is awesome. The handbrake 180 slide at the end is amazing. I love that stuff. The F1 stuff is definately cool too, but rally still has so much more unpredictability, like Silverfox said.

NASCAR-GPS.jpg

First off, let me say that I'm no nascar fan. But to say nascar requires no skill is just plain foolish. To compare the too racing styles is like comparing skiing to bobsledding. They each require a different skill set that can't really be compared to each other.

I can appreciate the skill required to driving 80mph down a narrow tree lined dirt track, and hold the back end in on a sharp s-curve.

I can also appreciate the skill required to drive 200mph, with 40 other drivers (adds a huge amount of unpredicatabilty), on a track not much wider than the average interstate highway, for 400 miles in a cockpit in the 130*F range while wearing a firesuit and listening and paying attention to constant radio chatter. Those drivers have a huge amount of endurance/stamina to drive and stay focused for several hours in those conditions. Ever notice how the faster you go, the narrower the road seems? You push a car to 200mph and that 40 foot wide path will seem about as narrow as the dirt track those rally cars are on. Then add in the fact that the cars all have to abide by certain restrictions, so they all run basically the same, and it becomes a drivers race to win.

Like I said - different skill sets. I'd doubt a driver from either type could go to the other and do well without a lot of practice.

and i'd rather watch womens curling before i watch a stupid nascar "race"

i'd rather watch someone knit an entire scarf from start to finish

i think i'm gonna have one of those "rally experience" days when i'm a bit more flush... one where they train you up and then let you rag it around :D

Sure rally racing is grueling and unpredictable, but does it really require more skill then F1??? I dont see how ~80mph in an awd car on a dirt road takes more reflexes and driving skill then ~200mph on narrow winding roads o.O. If you have driven in the 150+mph range you know what I mean...road narrows, and every little movement is multiplied by what seems like hundreds of times.

I guess everyones definition of "skilled driving" is different though :P I think of reflexes and such while some may think of endurance and navigation :). Both forms of racing are impressive and well beyond the realm of a normal driver though :D