Hooking up a Navigation System to built in DVD Video System

Queenz

Does anyone know how to turn or plug a Navigation System into a built in DVD/Video system in a van, car, etc? Can someone give me some tips, steps, and supplies needed information on how to do it. Or is this even possible to do?

we'll need a LOT more info than that.

it's like asking how to install a cdrom in a computer with no more info.

Like I am wondering how do you hook up the navigation to the A/V Jacks to a DVD/Video System that is already installed in a van so that it could be viewed on the screen without having to go and purchase the LCD screen, and how to install it. It's just a project that I was thinking of and I am wondering if any of you guys know how to do it?

Most car/van A/V systems have a "brain". You'd think it's the head-unit in the dash, but it's usually not. The head unit plugs into the brain, the monitors plug into the brain, the speakers plug into the brain, etc. So you'll more than likely need to find said brain. Once you've located it, you can see whether it's got auxiliary I/O ports for video. If it's a factory system, I would highly doubt it does. If it's aftermarket, there's a much better chance.

If there are extra ports, you can just plug the nav-system video signal into the brain and that's it. If not, then you'll either need to get a dedicated monitor for it, or design a "switching" system for the two video signals.

As far as installing the nav-system itself, that shouldn't actually be that bad. It'll probably have a brain too, and it'd be smart to locate that near the existing one in the car. Then you just need to feed it power. If you run your own power wires, you MUST make sure there's a fuse in-line. The GPS systems I've seen have also had an antenna of sorts, and I'm told that that can go anywhere, though it'd be smartest to locate it outside/on top of the vehicle, or at least near a window.

Of course, we could give you a lot more specifics if you gave us more specifics...