Firefox Fedora won't update.

Aliencam

hey everyone, i'm here again... at least for a little while. actually i just need like 2 questions answered lol.

so i'm setting up 15 computers in my school physics room, and I decided that linux was the best choice. of linux, i chose Fedora core 6 because it is close to windows and there will be un-adept people using these computers.

so with the OS comes firefox 1.5, but I'm trying to install Firefox 2.0 linux, which is an available download on the firefox website...

so i download the firefox, and none of the files execute. i tried chmod 777, executing them in root, nothing... they just don't execute, even in the console. i know im downloading the linux version, i checked that many times to make sure... i just don't know where to go from here...

i have re-downloaded the files in case there was a problem also...

Right now my slackware is being weird so I can only help you through windows.. Let's see..

What happens if you ./run-mozilla.sh in the firefox folder?

Try chmod +x on it, but right now I can't think I'm too tired arrgh.

It might help if you list what exactly you're doing.

student@localhost ~]$ ./run '/home/student/firefox/run-mozilla.sh'
bash: ./run: No such file or directory
[student@localhost ~]$ '/home/student/firefox/run-mozilla.sh'

run-mozilla.sh: Cannot execute .

[student@localhost ~]$ '/home/student/firefox/mozilla-xremote-client'
/home/student/firefox/mozilla-xremote-client: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[student@localhost ~]$ ./run '/home/student/firefox/mozilla-xremote-client'
[student@localhost ~]$ '/home/student/firefox/firefox-bin'
/home/student/firefox/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libmozjs.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[student@localhost ~]$ ./run '/home/student/firefox/firefox-bin'
[student@localhost ~]$ '/home/student/firefox/firefox'
/home/student/firefox/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[student@localhost ~]$
[student@localhost ~]$

alright i'll try that tomorrow when i get to school...

my GCC version should be 4.1.1 since its a brand new install, and i ran the package update and yum update three times just to make sure... is 4.1.1 what it should be???

and why would changing the directory make a difference? since i'm not typing the filenames, i'm just dragging them into the console, so theres no errors... would the single quotes at the beginning and end of each filename make a difference???

also, i checked all the files and they are executable when i go to properties... so i really don't know what's up...

oh jeez, i didn't even have GCC on this machine... but i installed it and now its

gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.1.1 20070105 (Red Hat 4.1.1-51)

wheni tried to execute run-mizilla.sh, i got

./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libmozjs.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

so i tried yum install liibmozjs.so and got this:

[root@localhost firefox]# yum install libmozjs.so
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
Reading repository metadata in from local files
Parsing package install arguments
Nothing to do

so i guess its already there...

i'm in root because i'm trying to get the LabPro to work... maybe i should go back the the account...

but yeah anyway, it still won't execute anything... i don't know why. i tried quitting out of forefox and then doing it also, still says version 1.5

I took a look on slackware, and this is all i had to do:

tar -xzf fiefox*.tar.gz
cd firefox
./firefox

Try extracting the files again, maybe something got messed up (ie modes)

no gcc, see that's what I thought with some of those missing libraries :P

you shouldnt need to execute anything else, or change anything else.. If it doesn't work after this, then post what is happening (again, meh I dunno), or I dunno.. I'm mad at my slack, screen shows nothing with a new kernel im trying.. everything else works. :P

still no good... everything does the same thing. its missing a bunch of libraries still... and those files are not in the firefox .tar.gz either (i explored the archive without extracting it) i also re-downloaded it... where could i get these libraries?

[student@localhost ~]$ tar -xzf '/home/student/firefox-2.0.0.1.tar.gz'
[student@localhost ~]$ '/home/student/firefox/firefox-bin'
/home/student/firefox/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libmozjs.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[student@localhost ~]$ '/home/student/firefox/updater'
/home/student/firefox/updater: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[student@localhost ~]$ '/home/student/firefox/run-mozilla.sh'

run-mozilla.sh: Cannot execute .

[student@localhost ~]$ '/home/student/firefox/mozilla-xremote-client'
/home/student/firefox/mozilla-xremote-client: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[student@localhost ~]$ '/home/student/firefox/updater'
/home/student/firefox/updater: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[student@localhost ~]$ '/home/student/firefox/firefox'
/home/student/firefox/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[student@localhost ~]$

so i'm missing:

libstdc++.so.5

and libmozjs.so

where do i get these???

and run-mozilla.sh won't execute, even though i checked the properties and it says it is executable..

libmozjs is part of firefox and if you use ./firefox it wont ask for it, and libstdc++ is a library that comes with gcc, thats why i asked about gcc the first time.

make sure you have gcc installed on these machines.. I don't see why you wouldn't, but fedora might be being weird. Some suse personal that I had came without gcc, make, or any other programs like that, I had to find rpms for them >.<

But then I wonder how ffx 1.5 works.. meh, I still don't know what's up with yours, after a quick google search you could try and yum 'compat-libstdc++-33', see if that gets you anywhere

(on a side note, my slack is working perfectly now.. even mozilla, and all I had was default packages.)

hm okay just yum get and the package names? alright.

should i move all the files to the firefox directory in root? i don't know where it is rightnow, but i can find it...

and this is after i installed gcc with $ yum install gcc it still gave me those... maybe i'll try it again to make sure it got everything. or just dl the RPM from the GNU project site.

• 1 year later...
hm okay just yum get and the package names? alright.

should i move all the files to the firefox directory in root? i don't know where it is rightnow, but i can find it...

and this is after i installed gcc with $ yum install gcc it still gave me those... maybe i'll try it again to make sure it got everything. or just dl the RPM from the GNU project site.

yum install compat-libstdc++-33 worked for me !!!!