Vista is it GOOD or BAD?

snakieee

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND UPGRADING TO VISTA**

When upgrading to Vista from XP, Vista invalidates your XP product key

This isn't really anything new either, if you upgraded from 98 or ME those were invalidated too..

Just be darn sure that if you buy VISTA upgrade that you WANT VISTA, because you can't change your mind..

Edited by Andrewr05

**I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND UPGRADING TO VISTA**

When upgrading to Vista from XP, Vista invalidates your XP product key

This isn't really anything new either, if you upgraded from 98 or ME those were invalidated too..

Just be darn sure that if you buy VISTA upgrade that you WANT VISTA, because you can't change your mind..

But isn't that only with an upgrade. I mean if you do a format and re-install I don't think it could invalidate your product key.

I am looking forward to Vista being the mainstream OS. It'll take a couple of years for this to happen, but I think the OS is solid (certainly a HELL of a lot more solid than XP was at first launch.... if we can all remember back to those days). It has a lot to offer most people, and once the bugs get worked out, and I am surprised at how few we have discovered thus far considering it's already gone public in retail stores, it will be a great OS. We said the same thing going from 98/2000 to XP, and we are saying it again going from XP to Vista. XP was the anti-christ six years ago, and now we refuse to let it go...

"All we are saaaaying... is give Vista a chance."

Like swifty said, I'm dual booting Vista with XP, but I'm still using XP as my primary OS. I guess I just haven't had the time to tweak Vista to work how I want it to. Once these darn LSATs are over with, I'll spend some more time getting it to work just how I like it. Then maybe I'll use it as my primary OS. But I've liked what I've seen so far. I'm a big fan of eye candy :D

I guess I’ll be reiterating LoArmistead a little bit. Sorry.

I’m sure there are a few posts going back to the release of XP on these boards pertaining to the reliability factor of a brand new OS. This is nothing new. When a new OS is released from Microsoft, it’s touted as “new” and “innovative” and “easy to use”. Past experience, when I first bought XP after its release and ran it for the first time, I ran into a few snags. Firstly, I’ve had trouble with Half-life/Counter-Strike running. This was under version 1.1.0.5. (Pre-Steam, folks.) For example, the game would crash to the desktop with out so much of an error dialogue box presented to me. Secondly, I had and issue with my 3DFX video drivers (again this was 2001, people). XP would blue screen if I went higher than 1024 x 768. So, I went back to Windows 2000 for another year. Shortly after Service Pack 1 was released, I thought I’d give it another shot. I grabbed a spare hard drive and did a test run. I was happy to see that a lot of the wrinkles have been smoothed out. So, I was happy to nominate XP as my primary OS. It seemed to be much more stable after SP1A was released.

Remember, this is Microsoft you’re dealing with, here. Some of their products take time to iron out most (I wouldn’t say all) of the wrinkles. (Explorer likes to crash randomly when I try to shutdown.) It has gotten to the point that I will only upgrade after it’s been out in the wild between six months to a year.

But, this of course differs from person to person, their setup, and applications. If you want to go ahead and get your feet wet, do it. Don’t be surprised if boot times are longer, and some of your old favourite games seem to run a little shaky. I’m sure with time, I’ll eventually upgrade. Until then, I’m happily waiting on Service Pack 3. (Playing around with OpenSUSE Linux, too!)

Good luck!

I'm on Vista Ultimate right now. It working pretty good for me. Takes about 590mb of ram idle (with 5 gadgets, trillian and xfire.) I love the 3D Flip, sucker for eye-candy. To get games to work with 3D Flip they have to be in Windowed, but windowed reduces gaming performance. Even with my Build I only get 30fps in WOW on max in Windowed. I get 60fps on MAX in Fullscreen. All I did was lower the sampling from 4x to 1x and now I have the 60fps in Windowed without noticable graphics lost. Gaming performance is the same. All my games work fine. Hold em' poker is a fun game, wish they added multiplayer on it. I like how Game Explorer loads all your games into a folder. Solves my problem when people come over and want to play on my computer asking for what games I have, well problem solved now. In case you where wondering if Game Explorer shows Steam games such as (CSS or HL2) in Game Explorer rather than Steam launch button. Dreamscene is suppose to be releasing in about 2 weeks so that would be cool. From the reviews it doesn't take up a lot of resources and you have the option to turn it on and off by just right clicking. I'm waiting for the Waterfall motion wallpaper shown at CES.

A bug that I noticed is when you click on drop down arrow in "explorer" (like my computers or something of that sort) it has Website links lol. Then again it also has other buttons which you can change folders easily on the address bar without needed the drop down arrow. Only problems I had so far with it is it loves to go BSOD when I leave it to defrag over night. I also can't install my Voice Recorder driver, but I just installed it on my brother's computer since he is still on XP (so no big deal.)

I just started running ReadyBoost on my Lexar 1gb flash drive I leave the computer when it boots so I haven't noticed if it makes a big difference on with my 2gb setup. Also you can unplug it and still use it for storage without screwing up your PC. All it does when you unplug it is it make the HDD prefetch instead of Flash Drive. I might get a 4gb Flash drive and just use that one and keep the 1gb for storage.

Diskeeper 2007 Pro Premier 11 came out the other day for Vista and I got that. All older versions of Diskeeper will not work on Vista.

IE7 is basically a rip of Firefox, only thing annoying about IE7 is the Home button is located all the way on the right which I am not used too. Firefox is buggy for me. It bobs the site up and down. I might have to go to Firefox version 2.0, using 2.0.0.1 which is the latest.

Overall I give it a 4/5, due to some problems but those bugs are nothing serious like not being able to boot or stuff like that. Also people are saying Vista is sluggish, I have not noticed it at all. My boot time is almost the same with XP.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Also people are saying Vista is sluggish, I have not noticed it at all. My boot time is almost the same with XP.

:withstupid:

If you haven't used vista since b5384, then it may be sluggish, but RC1 loads and runs just as fast as XP ever did.

But for some reason how come Windows Vista still lacks a boot screen. It doesn't even say Windows Vista Ultimate at all! All it has is the stupic little green bar moving at the boot screen. I am using the RTM version and it still doesn't have crap.