Vista is it GOOD or BAD?

snakieee

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its really not that bad, its snappy on my AMD 3000+ with 1GB of RAM even with Aero. Turn off the fade effects and it will "speed" up. The animation that looks like your computer is crapping out windows where it zooms from the middle makes things seem to slow down, just turn it off and they'll appear right away, old-school :). I am pleased with Vista thusfar, and to everyone who complains about RAM usage, the whole idea is its prioritizing, you don't have anything else demanding that bit of memory, so Vista might as well use it.

still too many buggy / flaky driver issues I can't get over :(

however I finally get to see what my work @ MS has offered. Vienna (the 08 replacement for vista) knew EVERYTHING in my main rig, right down to the SAS controller. it even supported all 8 cores right out of the box (correctly I might add).

it appears to be everything that vista missed out on or had cut out (even WinFS).

vista seems to be ME round 2.

they're hauling tail to get it replaced... plus there was some gov't group that is refusing to give vista it's stamp of approval... I didn't catch the full details of what was going on... my dad was blithering about it to me on the phone... it basically means that the US gov't has barred Vista from thier own offices, hospitals are not allowed to use, and a few other groups. something MS NEEDS to fix.

I'll get the full details on what the heck he was talking about later.

and yeah the time line is december of 08 for vienna to hit the streets.

NIST aka National Institute of Standards and Technology. they have said no to vista and have no intention of changing that. it's a similar problem that faces most linux distros, and has only happened to microsoft one other time... windows ME.

w00t, so XP time until christmas 08, when I will have what? 300$? saved for the new Windows OS! If they trend continues, Vienna will be like 400$! That such bullcrap windows is pulling off, selling Vista Ultimate for ~ 250$ here!

[edit] sorry for confusing post, I have no coherence anymore, Gerstensaft (german, anyone wanna give it a shot :lol:) is influencing my ability to function

• 1 month later...
vista seems to be ME round 2.

Vista is making me put money to the side for a good Mac. This is the second time I've bought a computer w/a preinstalled version of Windows that turned out to be worthless. Windows ME when I started undergrad, and Vista, which came with of my Gateway MX8711 - which would be a lovely little beast if I could just uninstall Vista!

Seriously, stay away from it for now. There is absolutely no advantage of Vista over XP that I can see. The problems that I have had w/Vista (such as my screen jumping up and down, as it is doing right now) are problems that I've never seen in my LIFE.

Vista is making me put money to the side for a good Mac.

ROFL.

Just switch to Linux if you hate Windows that much, though I don't see why you don't just go back to XP.

So far my experience with Vista hasn't been as horror filled as some people claim. I like the fancy graphics and the Media Center is definitely worth it (then again, I'm making a HTPC, so I have a practical use for it). Though I'll admit that I had one problem. I couldn't get Vista to recognize my RAID 0 array, and thus, I'm stuck using my fastest drives as storage.

It's all good, I'm not that much into performance anymore. As long as it's pretty and runs quick, I'm happy :)

ROFL.

Just switch to Linux if you hate Windows that much, though I don't see why you don't just go back to XP.

I would LOVE to! But my Gateway MX8711 came preinstalled w/Vista. I've been going through Hell to install XP, and I've been told bluntly that doing so will void my warranty w/Gateway. At this point I don't even care.