Official Windows XP Tweaks Thread

Andrewr05

Official Windows XP Tweaks Thread

Post any "LEGAL" tweaks, hacks, or hidden options for XP in this thread...

GUIDELINES:

1. Post the purpose of the tweak on the top of the page in BOLD to avoid confusion.
  2. You may use pictures to show your tweaks steps more effectively.
  3. Keep discussion to a minimum. (If you wish to ask the poster a question please do it via PM)
  4. Use common sense when posting, DO NOT post things that common knowledge to most XP users.

HOW TO PUT YOUR NAME NEXT TO YOUR CLOCK

1. Press the START button
  2. Goto SETTINGS
  3. Click on CONTROL PANEL
  4. Click on Regional and Language Options
    step1wx2.th.jpg
  5. Click on CUSTOMIZE
    step2xw8.th.jpg
  6. Navigate to the TIME tab
    step3zf5.th.jpg
  7. Click in the AM SYMBOL box and type your desired text upto 12 characters long (here we will use my name; Andrew)
  8. Repeat step 7 for the PM SYMBOL box
    step4nu7.th.jpg
  9. Click OK on both screens and YOUR DONE!!

donehc4.jpg

I hope you liked this random and useless lesson!!

Edited by Andrewr05

there are loads of xp tweaks at The Elder Geek...

anyway, here are some of my favourites that i keep in a text file:

A Faster Start Menu

I see no reason for there to be any delay when I click on the Start Menu. Effects are pretty, but I wouldn

SHOW WINDOWS VERSION ON DESKTOP

1. Press the START button
  2. Click RUN
    step1cd9.th.jpg
  3. Type in "regedit"
    step2dd0.th.jpg
  4. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
    step3sy7.th.jpg
  5. Double-click "PaintDesktopVersion" on the right hand side of the screen
  6. change the numbet to 1 (to remove it type in 0)
    step4eu2.th.jpg
  7. Exit regedit and reboot your system

donecx6.th.jpg

Edited by Andrewr05

the sort by name thing only does it once iirc, or at least, that's how it used to work... the "tweak" does it automatically, even when you move stuff around to different submenus... the right-click menu only sorts it once, and maybe only for the current level of menu...

i swear, if that's not how it works now, and "sort by name" is full-auto, even with new stuff, then it didn't used to do it, and that's why i saved the tweak hehe

i know *mine* is lol... i meant i'm pretty sure the right-click method isn't, unless it changed since sp1

no it isnt fully auto - i found out just now installing adaware, lol. i may have to try your method...:)

Anyhow.

Windows built-in photo batch resizing for those that *don't* know it exists. it is basic, but effective nonetheless. Best used where outlook express is the default client, as i dont have outlook or thunderbird right now.

Step1: In windows explorer, select the photos you wish to resize.

Step2: On the side of the windows explorer window, there is an option under "File and Folder Tasks" called "Email this file". Click It.

Step3: A window appears. Click "Show more options" and you can choose 3 file sizes to resize to Small (640x480) Medium (800x600) and Large (1024x768). Once you have chosen your size, click 'OK'.

Step4: Your default email client (in my case, outlook) will open with a new composed message with your resized files ready to send. There is an option under "file" to save attachments. Do it and save your newly re-sized files wherever suits you most.

Thus concludes this "hidden" gem that not many people realise is available. Handy for a quick and reasonable image compression ready for internet or as intended, email use.