Which is better?

3 sticks runs in dual channel mode... not a combined dual/single because afaik, that's not even possible...

also, you might well find that the motherboard switches the ram to 166mhz with all 3 slots filled...

i still say, 2 sticks is best, and then out of the choice of 1+3 or 2+3, 2+3 is the best option...

3 sticks runs in dual channel mode... not a combined dual/single because afaik, that's not even possible...

also, you might well find that the motherboard switches the ram to 166mhz with all 3 slots filled...

i still say, 2 sticks is best, and then out of the choice of 1+3 or 2+3, 2+3 is the best option...

As far as I knew it will not work either that was until the day that I started playing around with boards and during post it shows Dual Channel during post, and when I benchmarked it scored the same way, and this was with three sticks. Gigabyte, Asus, and Soyo's were the ones that it would happen on.

Nforce2 is not supposed to be able to do that, but for some reason with certain bios versions it does seem to happen.....

Not sure if Mike can shed some light on it, but in anycase if you want more memory and want to run dual Channel for sure then get 2 X 1gig that will solve the issue and you will know for a fact that Dual Channel is working.

i think when you say "dual channel + single channel" you mean something else from what i'm thinking

dual channel is 128-bit and single channel is 64-bit... i'm certain they can't co-exist... it's either 3 sticks ALL running in dual channel or 3 sticks ALL running in single channel (if somehow the mobo is rubbish)... slots 1 and 2 are channel 1, and slot 3 is channel 2...

1+3: dual

2+3: dual

1,2+3: dual

Edited by hardnrg

i think when you say "dual channel + single channel" you mean something else from what i'm thinking

dual channel is 128-bit and single channel is 64-bit... i'm certain they can't co-exist... it's either 3 sticks ALL running in dual channel or 3 sticks ALL running in single channel (if somehow the mobo is rubbish)... slots 1 and 2 are channel 1, and slot 3 is channel 2...

1+3: dual

2+3: dual

1,2+3: dual

:withstupid: I haven't seen a dual channel and a single channel config ever

you either have single channel or dual channel... there is no mix...

there is a channel A with dimms 1 and 2, and a channel B with dimm 3... if either of the channels is populated it is single channel, if both channels are populated (with 2 *or* 3 dimms) it is dual channel.... there is no dual-and-a-half channel mode

the only possible way i can fathom dual channel and single channel in operation at the same time on the same motherboard is with DDR and SDR slots on the same motherboard (probably made by frankenstein-Asrock)

Right now I am running (2x512) in slots (1+3) (i will change to (2+3) soon).. i have an extra DDR 512mb stick... with (3x512) that could not run dual channel, correct?

Right now I am running (2x512) in slots (1+3) (i will change to (2+3) soon).. i have an extra DDR 512mb stick... with (3x512) that could not run dual channel, correct?

• 3 weeks later...
wow i feel like a noob for not realizing its socket a...in my defence i did point out the no dual channel on 754 which was right but i should have read a lil bit better...

*Slaps ThunderChicken on the back of the head - Gibbs (NCIS) style * :P

Advertisers should be shot... it would confuse many people they way they promote (or did) Dual Channel memory support for their 754 products, when in fact they actually mean dual channel memory modules (ie. TwinX kits) are supported (or can be used), though only in single channel mode :rolleyes: