best 939 cooler

woppy101

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG more than 800g suspended over 120mm from the vertically mounted motherboard? :blink:

I personally don't see this as a good idea when you combine it with the current RoHS compliant (leadfree) motherboards, considering the flex created by such 'behemoths' will only add to the stress on the lead free circuit traces & solder joints, which are notoriously reknown for decreased sevice life r/t to their rigid nature and development of premature fractures :(

The lead-free replacements for conventional Sn60/Pb40 solder have higher melting points, requiring re-engineering of most components and materials used in electronic assemblies. Lead-free solder joints may produce mechanically weaker joints depending on service and manufacture conditions, which may lead to a decrease in reliability using such solders. "Tin Whiskers" are another problem with many lead-free solders, where slender crystals of tin slowly grow out of the solder joint. These whiskers can bridge a short circuit years after a device's manufacture.

Full article @ Wikipedia ;)

Further info relating to RoHS lead free solder failures can be found in an interesting article @ Military & Aerospace Electronics ;)

Yea I can go pass 2.25ghz on stock cooling but its alrdy @ 52 Load if I put it back on 10x, its only 9x right now with stock temps. Once I get the Freezer Pro 64 I'll put it back up to 10x and start back down at 225mhz.

Im not sure if everyone just skipped over taz post, but he does make a good point, be careful how much you hang off that mobo...:)

Water cooling is going to beat any air cooling setup any day, but just taking the risk of setting it upand running it...kinda risky ;)

Im not sure if everyone just skipped over taz post, but he does make a good point, be careful how much you hang off that mobo...:)

Ah it happens ;)

The message is nothing new, bigred (if I may quote him on this) has often explained the potential negative impact of installing heavy tall processor cooling devices on motherboards, this whole RoHS compliance is what's really got me worried, when it comes time to upgrade from my 754/939 rigs I'm hoping they (the IT industry) will have it all sorted out, most likely I'll skip the entire AM2 socket generation :)

Yes, they do seem to perform well... however I'm more concerned about the RoHS implications for quality control & motherboard longevity, after all I made a K62 series processor last, I'm sure I can make do with these A64s for the time being :D

Yes, they do seem to perform well... however I'm more concerned about the RoHS implications for quality control & motherboard longevity, after all I made a K62 series processor last, I'm sure I can make do with these A64s for the time being :D

Looks like everything is going RoHS, my mobo, memory, CPU, AND video card are all rohs... Not sure your going to have much of a choice in a bit