Sign in to follow this  
GuJuMaN89

freaking cop

some stupid cop pulled me over cuz he said i craping ran a red light. the light was yellow for like a split second and then went red. it was not my craping fault, if i stopped, i would have landed in the middle of the intersection.

should i pay the fine and goto driving school for the points/insurance, or should i goto court about it? how much is the court fees?

What is bad is its your word against the cops, who is the judge going to believe? Unless its like around the Houston area there are cameras on all the stop light poles. I guess that is what they use them for?

IMHO the yellow light is a grace period.

If you are less than 600 feet in front of the light then there is no need to cause an accident by SLAMMING on your brakes to try and stop for it, but if you speed up to try and make the yellow light then then you are at fault...

what happened was, the light was green, then yellow, i didnt have to speed up or anything, i would have made it, and BAM within a second it went to red. if i slammed on teh brakes, the guy behind me would have hit me, and i would have ended up in the intersection.

What is bad is its your word against the cops, who is the judge going to believe? Unless its like around the Houston area there are cameras on all the stop light poles. I guess that is what they use them for?

:withstupid: It's just like school, if a teacher in school says you did something bad when you know you didn't, and you tell the principle or who ever is in charge obviously they would believe the teacher over the student which is you. So like he said, it's your word against the cops unless you have some kind of proof on camera or whatever that you didn't do it, otherwise don't even bother going to court about it.

:withstupid: Like said before its your word against a cops its too bad it happened. The only way I see that you wouldn't have to pay the ticket is if you take it to court and higher some type of lawyer but that would probably cost you way more then what its worth though.

A lot of the times, the cop won't show up. Then the judge will throw the case out and you wont have to pay a dime.

A lot of the times, the cop won't show up. Then the judge will throw the case out and you wont have to pay a dime.

:withstupid: Ive never had any first had experience with this kind of thing, but from everyone I talk to thats how it almost always ends up.

some stupid cop pulled me over cuz he said i craping ran a red light. the light was yellow for like a split second and then went red. it was not my craping fault, if i stopped, i would have landed in the middle of the intersection.

should i pay the fine and goto driving school for the points/insurance, or should i goto court about it? how much is the court fees?

First of all... The officer isn't "stupid". Any time an officer is enforcing the law and you post about it here, you degrade them and critique their actions. If you went through an intersection while the light is read, YOU BROKE THE LAW. PERIOD. No discussion necessary.

If you have already crossed the white "stop line" when the light turns yellow you are generally alright. The yellow light isn't there just to look pretty, it's to warn you that you need to stop. Did you not learn about "Fading Greens" or a "Stagnant lights" in Drivers Education? Running through a yellow light is also a crime in most places, falling into the realm of negligent operation or "Disreguarding a changing light", something along those lines. Just because the light is yellow doesn't mean you can go through.

If you're stopped at the intersection and the light turns green... If you're within the first five or ten car lengths you'll be fine. Approaching an already green light that has been lingering for some time is a definate sign of needing to slow down and be prepared to stop.

Don't forget that you're also the one who "peeled out" because some kid in the car next to you wanted to race. :rolleyes:

IMHO the yellow light is a grace period.

If you are less than 600 feet in front of the light then there is no need to cause an accident by SLAMMING on your brakes to try and stop for it, but if you speed up to try and make the yellow light then then you are at fault...

600 feet? Where did you pull that figure from out of curiousity...

Slamming on your breaks to stop for a light is stupid unless it's already red and other traffic has the green.

So the green light had been displayed for a considerable duration, yet you chose to not slow down and proceed with caution (what any YELLOW displayed light in the US means)....

Your car had not totally entered the intersection and you SHOULD HAVE STOPPED. Just because your front tires are passed the line doesn't mean jack .. Your car was still not completely passed the line when the light turned red. Had you made an attempt to stop, the outcome would most likely have been a warning and a reminder to pay attention a little better.

The "stupid cop", is just doing his job to keep jackasses like you safe. Gonna still think he's stupid if you're taken hostage and he's the one that saves you?