Need help picking out a motherboard/vid card :]

so im building a new computer, and its been quite a while since ive looked around...so, heres what i got and i'm open for suggestions.

the processor im getting is the Intel Xeon 3050 Conroe 2.13GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

im getting a 20 inch LCD monitor with a 1000:1 ratio.

im gettin 2 gigs of ram (4x 512mb sticks, so it needs to be able to hold at least that, maybe more if possible :D )

ive got the cooler and everything chosen, i just need the mobo and the videocard.....if you need more info let me know :)

Is there any particular reason that you want to get a Xeon instead of the Core2Duo equivalent? I only ask because the E6400 is not only cheaper, but according to the Intel datasheets, it's max safe voltage is 0.175V higher than the Xeon (which may not seem like much but can mean the world if you want to OC). Don't get me wrong, people are still OCing the 3050 pretty far, but I guess I'm just curious. Also, I would highly suggest getting two 1GB sticks of DDR2 800 instead of four 512MB sticks. Do you have a budget in mind?

If you are going two gigs of ram go two X 1Gig instead of 4 X 512MB that way if you decide you want more you are not going to throw away one gig to get more.

I also question the Xeon depending on your needs of course.

Well, i heard the XEON has higher quality silicone, so it has a higher heat capacity.

i'll check out the regular intel's though.

overall my budgets going to be about $900, including the processor, but i dont want to necesarily just spend the most i can, but i do want it to be good for gaming and all.

How fast should the RAM i get be?i currently have a gig of Corsair 333mhz RAM.

Overall, I'll be using the computer for gaming and graphic arts.

Well, i heard the XEON has higher quality silicone, so it has a higher heat capacity.

i'll check out the regular intel's though.

overall my budgets going to be about $900, including the processor, but i dont want to necesarily just spend the most i can, but i do want it to be good for gaming and all.

How fast should the RAM i get be?i currently have a gig of Corsair 333mhz RAM.

Overall, I'll be using the computer for gaming and graphic arts.

Well you probaly most definatly will have to move to DDR2 with the kind of setup your wanting

Edited by QueenzPCfreak90

as the others have said get the c2d and 2x1gb memory. For mobo, the gigabyte DS3 seems to be popular among many. Though mine has crapped out twice i guess the newer ones are better. The x1950xt is also the best bang for your buck in the mid-high performance sector.

as the others have said get the c2d and 2x1gb memory. For mobo, the gigabyte DS3 seems to be popular among many. Though mine has crapped out twice i guess the newer ones are better. The x1950xt is also the best bang for your buck in the mid-high performance sector.

I'm hoping to get a dx10 capable card, since vistas coming out soon...

I had a 9600xt, but it fried on me so im running my graphics on RAM...i miss video games, and I'm hoping to have this last me a few years and be able to play upcoming video games on higher settings :)

Well you probaly most definatly will have to move to DDR2 with the kind of setup your wanting

not just DDR2.... FB-DIMM Registered ECC DDR2. be prepared to pay an arm, leg, and possibly another limb for that stuff.

chipsets that support that cpu will REQUIRE the above mentioned ram, not conventional DDR2.

and who ever told you it's higher quality silicon is full of crap.

in the same generations, Xeons, Pentiums (now core2) and celeron are cut from the SAME silicon waffers. they're not differenticated from one another until well after that.

that Xeon is 100% identical to a Core2 of the same speed, cache size, and frontside bus except the traces to enable SMP have not been cut. it will NOT game better, it will NOT overclock better (due to availible motherboard options), and when factoring ram, mobo, processor and vid card it will NOT fit your $900 budget. nearly tripple it if you want to waste $$$ for DX10.

If I was you, I would get really a really good motherboard and processor then I'd get something to hold me over for the DX11 cards. Apparently, the DX11 cards are going to be where it's at :) As far as the Conroes go, the E6600 is the best bang for the buck. I currently have the ASUS P5N32-SLi SE Deluxe motherboad and it's very, very nice. You might want to take a look into it.

Guest Raven65

If you have to go with intel then get the core2 duo.

BigRed is right the xenon will require Registered Ram.