what the heck BFG

krazymonkey500

I am beyond pissed right now. This is just freakin' ridiculous. Here is my story:

December 25th: My computer is getting random reboots and BSOD. Eventually, there is no screen coming up despite everything powering up. At this point, there is no POST and corresponding *beeps*. I look at my monitor and it is displaying "No signal. Check PC connection." I was like, "Oh, that's great. Dead graphics card on Christmas." I thought this was odd, because I've only had this graphics card (7800GT) for a little over a year. I double check everything in my computer for connections/dead components. Unplug everything and plug it back in. Nothing. Since it was Christmas, I wasn't going to bother calling tech support. I was going to wait until tomorrow.

December 26th: I call up BFG Tech support in the afternoon, I get on a wait list telling me, "Your estimated wait time is 0 minutes." I wait for about 15 and get the message again. I said screw it and waited until the next day.

December 27th: See above. I'm kinda mad about this now. I have family over until the New Year so I don't bother calling them again until the 1st.

January 1st: I call and finally someone picks up on the tech support line. I tell them my problem and they tell me, "Sounds like the card is dead, let's set up an RMA." It goes smoothly. They tell me all the info I need and since I was a busy guy with getting back to school and all, I don't have a chance to send it in until Friday.

January 11th: I call to check on the status of my RMA. They tell me they got my card on the 10th and shipped a "replacement" out the same day. I thought to myself, "Wow, that's a pretty quick turn around." I wasn't sure how their RMA department worked, so it seemed weird for me at the time. The guy on the phone tells me I'll have my card on the 16th, a Tuesday (due to the holiday).

January 16th: I get my card from UPS (ugh) and frantically open the box and look at the card. It wasn't a new card, it wasn't my old "fixed" card (checked serial), it was a card that looked like it had a fair amount of damage/work done on it. Soldering done in a few places and a capacitor or whatever replaced on it. I was shocked, to be honest. I thought they would have just given me a new card. I hesitantly put the card in my nice clean computer case with a new spiffy wiring job (gotta do something while I'm without my computer), plug it in, push the power button and BAM, no signal. They had shipped me a broken card. I immediately call tech support and tell them about my experience and they revert me to a higher level of tech support to troubleshoot the problem. NOTE: Now I'm not an idiot, I've tried just about everything: different monitor, different cables, power cord organizations, etc. to no avail. But I decide to go along with their system and have a techie diagnose my computer. I tell him about my setup, my custom rig. He's asking about my power supply a lot and I answer all his questions speedily. I go over the problem probably twice and tell him everything that I've tried. He deems the card a dud and sends me back to the same RMA person to set up another RMA. This time she offers and "Advance RMA," (I know what it was, the quotes are for emphasis). I was wondering why they hadn't offered this to me the first time. This of course is a lot faster, or it should have been anyway. They email me a free shipping label. I'm asking myself again, why did I have to pay to ship the first one? Right before the lady setting up my RMA is about to hang up, I ask her, "Don't you need a credit card number or something." She repeatedly assures me that she doesn't need one since they are giving me a shipping label to ship the card back. Again, I'm a busy student, so I don't get the card out until that Friday, the 19th.

January 22nd: I get a call at about 3pm from BFG with a woman telling me that they want a credit card number from me so they can ship the card to me with the "advance RMA." This is a giant what the heck in my book. It takes them a whole WEEK to call me and decide they want a credit card number so they can ship the card to me. I tell the lady that I had already shipped the other card back (I was kind of hoping that I could use the box from the advance RMA to ship my card back, I'm running out of boxes). She's like, "Oh yeah, we have it on file that your card is already shipped out to us so we shouldn't need your credit card information anymore." (DOUBLE what the heck). She tells me that she is going to check with the warehouse or shipping department or whatever to make sure that counts as authorization so that they can ship me my "advance RMA" and have it to me ASAP. I note my frustration in this issue because my card should have been here last week, being an "Advance RMA" and all. I tell her that I'll just give her a credit card number just in case it wasn't going to work. I give her the info and she tells me that she'll call back later today if there is any issues. She does not call back so I assume that everything went fine and that my card will be shipped out the next day, Tuesday the 23rd, and be here by Thursday the 25th. They seem to use 2 day express shipping from UPS and they normally get to my house in 2 days.

January 25th: Not only has it been one whole month since my computer crashed, but I STILL do not have my card back. I stay calm and allow UPS one more day to get the card to my house. 1/12th of my year has been wasted. I've been surviving off of Warcraft 3 at home on older Dell computers and doing schoolwork on school computers during the 1 hour "break" I've alloted myself between my classes.

Today, January 26th: I get home from college expecting a package to be at my door. Guess what, it wasn't there. I rush inside and immediately call BFG again and get into the RMA department, almost shouting at the lady with disappointment. She looks up my RMA and asks me.......wait for it......"Did we collect credit card information for your advance RMA?"

I swear, I almost blew up right there. I told the lady that I had talked with someone earlier in the week and they claimed they were going to ship the card out on Tuesday. I told her that it shouldn't matter because I shipped my card out a week ago and they should already have it. She the replied, "I see that we received that card yesterday." I asked her why they would need any sort of credit card or anything now because the whole idea of an "advance RMA" has been thrown out the window as it has been a week an a half since I had been given one in the first place. She was puzzled as to why my card had not been shipped out earlier that week, but apparently there were no records of anything. The only consolation she could provide was overnight shipping. I'd almost expect a free upgrade at this point in time. At this point, a serious apology would be nice really.

This is all I can do to vent at this point in time apart from causing physical harm to objects in my vicinity.

There honestly must be a giant question mark imprinted on the heads of everyone working in tech support. They cannot make any links between anything. There is clearly a lack of documentation or communication. Common sense is not aplenty here.

The ignorance and lack of customer service is driving me to my limits here.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm flaming, but I'm sure you can understand my situation. I've been signed up to go to PDXLAN9 since last September and I don't have a computer to go with as of right now. :(

UPDATE:

January 27th: It's about noon here and I'm wondering if BFG had in fact overnighted the package to me yesterday. I decide to call UPS and talk to someone about how their overnight system works. I eventually get to a guy who tells me that someone from BFG in Illinois would have until 8:00 pm yesterday to get the package out in order for it to be at my house by the next day (today). I called BFG yesterday at about 12:30 pm (which is 2:30 in Lake Forest) and the conversation was over before 1 pm (3:00). I think that's a reasonable amount of time to sort things out and get my package out "ASAP." Considering the lady was so inclined to "personally handle this problem," I felt somewhat assured in her determination. Man was I wrong, just like I was wrong 2 times before.

I call BFG and get into the RMA department, as I've become accustomed to doing for the past month, and my call is quickly answered by another differently lady, Mary. First thing she says to me is this (you probably saw this coming by now), "Have you provided us with credit card information yet?" By now, you would think that one of the other 2 people I've talked to would clear that from my records as they said they would, as it's been brought up each time and I've told them that should have already been taken care of. Next, I inquire about the overnight package that was supposed to be sent out yesterday. I'm informed that "it doesn't look like that was shipped out." She also informs me that the warehouse isn't open on Saturdays/Sundays and that there was nothing else she could do for me today. I just ask for a manager/supervisor, obviously this line of support can't do anything for me beyond repeating info on my file. I get to the supervisor, Paul, after a couple minutes of waiting on hold and just so that we're on the same page, I repeat my whole story to him.

After my little chat, he claims the whole screw up was with the first lady that set up my "Advance RMA" and that since she didn't collect credit card information the first time, she screwed up the whole system of the "Advance RMA." He tells me that this person has been "dealt with" about the situation (which I doubt). Striiiiike One! Next, he notes that on the following Monday when the lady called and took my credit card info (after I had shipped my card back the Friday before) the lady just "assumed" the tracking number for my package would hold as authorization and never actually did anything. Great, now she has my credit card information that never actually went into BFG's accounts. Striiiiike Two! Then he tells me that yesterday (Friday), the lady never actually took any steps to getting the package overnighted to me and that there was no note on my account that said it was overnighted/shipped/dealt with at all. Striiiike Three, you're out! He immediately backs himself up that it "could have been shipped, I don't know." He tells me that his plan is to contact with the warehouse supervisor himself (through email, he says, apparently he can't call them) and that this whole situation should be solved by the time I talk to him on Monday.

So that means another weekend of no practicing for PDXLAN. This is the ironic part, I want to be able to practice for a tournement (CoH) in which I can win...... A BFG GRAPHICS CARD!!!

Edited by krazymonkey500

If it were my processor, my graphics card would still send out a signal, at least a blank screen. The fan on the card would spin up, but no signal sent out. The tech support guy agreed with my diagnosis.

not really, one time i didnt install the processor and the vid card didnt send any signal, the monitor kept saying check pc connection and stuff

If it were my processor, my graphics card would still send out a signal, at least a blank screen. The fan on the card would spin up, but no signal sent out. The tech support guy agreed with my diagnosis.

I really doubt that. I've never seen a motherboard that would do anything without a cpu installed. You should try it sometime. I'm not sure your diagnosis is on track.

Now I'll admit, I didn't read your whole first post because it was FREAKIN LONG, but I skimmed it, and it seems to me that you're convinced that the video card is the problem and that's why you're getting so wound up. I don't really see any evidence of that claim though, given what you've explained so far. You're assuming that just because you don't get a video signal that the video card is dead. It doesn't necessarily work like that. I think you should do more diagnosing because you might just that your video card isn't the problem at all.

That sounded like it sucked.

I had a problem like that when my screen broke on my dell laptop. Even though they came and fixed the screen with in a couple of days there were some rubber stoppers that go on the front of the screen (they stop the screen from hitting the keyboard) which the tape on them had ripped off because of the repair service. Called dell like 4 times and they keep saying that there going to ship new ones out but after a month of waiting still didn't get them and just gave up. I ended up having to glue them on.

This is why I don't like to send stuff back to the manufacture for repairs. Unfortantly I have found that the only way to get something fixed is to eather return it for a refund and buy a new one or if the refund time it up then just throw it out and buy a new one.

Honestly, if something else really is broken, I'm okay with that. I can find a replacement part. The thing that has riled me up the most is the incompetence of the BFG Technical support team. If I get this second card back and it still doesn't work, I have some friends that would allow me to temporarily borrow some parts to find the true root of the problem. This problem shouldn't have to go on this long and that is what makes me angry.

I'm not a guy that can go out and just buy all new replacement parts, I have to figure things out individually. The graphics card seemed like the most viable problem to begin with, BFG agreed with my problem.

It's the service that will make or break a company.