Whats new?

I remembered like....oh I dunno like 4 months ago when i asked when lga 775 is going to be replaced...but look at all the new stuff it's come out with, quad cores are out (or coming out)

sorry guys i've been outta the loop

Im just curious whats new with Intel and AMD, if AMD is gonna launch their new socket Whatever, and if intel is gonna stick with 775 all this year, or what plans are ahead

and whens pci-e2 coming out if ever?

I know random but just kinda curious

sucks for those fan boys who REFUSE to make thier purchases based on facts of the industry over a NAME...

but they're the stupid ones who can't make an educated purchase.

also 775 LGA is still slated for a very near future replacement. AM2 may be on that same chopping block due to it's failure. socket F is doing much better respectively.

socket 940 replacement. it's for opterons and the FX's are back on it.

to clarify it's for SERVERS. the opteron has done very well in it's intended role even against the newest intel's... the FX and it's workstation home has been a flop this time around.

sucks for those fan boys who REFUSE to make thier purchases based on facts of the industry over a NAME...

:withstupid:

yep, i got a friend whos like that...hes about to build a rig that cost about the same as mine but with amd....ive already told him time and time again mines gonna toast it. he just refuses to accept. he thinks the "fx60" is gonna take out my e6600 at 3.4 which is still on stock cooling and stock volts.

and as a few have said they would months before their release...the conroes are whooping amd's behind.

also 775 LGA is still slated for a very near future replacement. AM2 may be on that same chopping block due to it's failure. socket F is doing much better respectively.

Well, I don't know if it's stupid. The mem on my new build was more then the Mobo and Chip combined ...

When you spend $105 shipped for a AM2 3800+ X2 I don't know of too many chips at that price from Intel that would compete. A 939 X2 would have, for sure.

The mobo? $85, a real nice Asus AM2 (M2N-SLI) ...

The mem? Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2-800 - $240

It's almost like Intel has gotten beaten up for so long and so much that they are the AMD of late 90s and 00s.

Cheers!

939 is still the ideal upgrade path for those heavily invested in standard DDR. but if you're going DDR2 it's intel time or bust.

also that asus board is a flaming pile of dung. 1 in 3 sold out of my stores is defective in some way or another (and I've even had 2 bad out of the box on me too... so it's not the customers). between the low demand for AM2 boards and the low quality of that thing it's no suprise that the board was so cheap. $56 is the cost direct from Asus when ordering in quantities of 20 or more

940 was the ORIGINAL K8 socket. they're all based off the technology it brought out.

AM2 is more of an add on to 939 (which was stripped down from 940 lacking registered ECC requirements), the extra pin, along with a few of the "key" pins is used for DDR2.

of course just over 900 of the pins actually do anything besides "key" pins.