OCCT Finally Let Me Down

Verran

Well, I posted this screenshot a while ago. 30 some hours of OCCT stability. On those EXACT same settings, Prime fails in about 16 minutes. Ouch. Score one for Prime. I like OCCT a lot, and I'll still use it for the 30min test and the graphs, but for final stability, I'm going back to Prime95.

what about it? it's the dual core version of SP2004... which in turn is the GUI version of Prime95... if anything, Verran would use SP2004...

i remember being able to squeeze in a few more MHz in OCCT vs Prime... i don't think OCCT has the variety that Prime does

LOL at Orthos. It IS Prime95, just with a shell around it. It's the same test.

As for SP2004, it's cool, but the constant PC speaker beeping on error gets really old. I don't know if they made that optional now, but that's what turned me off to it in the first place. Regular old Prime95 does fine for what I need.

I've had EACH of these programs and others report errors with CPUs that were at speeds deemed stable by the other stability options and never crash in actual use (gaming, encoding, etc.) Hell my old 3000+ Winchester would fail Prime at 1.9 on my GA-K8NS-939...yet is currently running in a friend's system @ 2.25 or so (different board, but the board holds my max 3000+ Venice OC and the Winchester did 2.65Ghz day to day stable in it's current home when I had the board). Needless to say I dont put nearly as much into "stability tests" as i did early in my OC experence. Don't get me wrong I still use them, but trust hours of gaming and benchmarking to check my system for usability.

The point is the apps are tests, they test stability much like a written test can test your knowledge of a subject. The CPU may give a few wrong answers where they don't count, but perform its usual tasks flawlessly (ok so that's a loose example), and you may make a 75% on a written test about Eastern Civilization yet you know details about every major Chinese dynasty. So it was a useless test if you're a Chinese historian...

Well wasnt that an excessively long rant about nothing....oh well :D

Well it's weird because the settings in question were performing great in day to day stuff. I gamed on 16x12 heavy settings for hours with no problems. It wasn't until I fired up folding again that I noticed a problem. It was spitting out bad WUs like crazy. Most of the time not finishing the second percent. So I ran OCCT, and 33 hours is a pretty solid statement. But sure enough, it kept bombing WUs. I finally resorted back to Prime, and it failed in 16 minutes.

With the exception of my FX-55 and the 21xx series of WUs gaming has always been less stabel than folding...of course it takes long term gaming to get such results and I certainly dont know your gaming habits :)

Thinking about the FX and your 148...maybe we have the same problem with foldign instability, and maybe Prime is stressing that same aspect of the CPU. Maybe Ill go kick the OC back up and fire up prime on the server to see what happens...