stereo speakers

peshewah

I would like to build some floor stand speakers, and center channel and maybe a sub. But only the best part, good woofer and tweeters like RBH or B&W or Klipsch might use. A good cross-over like only the best. I want to try my hand at it. I can handle the woodwork part of it. But the details and the aluminum woofers and the killer dog tweeters are unlike any other. But I don't know where to find the best parts and details. I want 4-6.5"aluminum woofers and 3-1"silk dome tweeters (like Klipsch or RBH uses)all in one floor stand. Has anyone tryed there hand at this and maybe recommend a site to buy from? I would be grateful for any reply.

I did something like this at my parents house...I have a reciever in my room that I hook my computer up to from that I have my old subs from my car and some older 6x9s

I hooked the subs and the 6x9s up together. They dont look the best, but it works and sounds good...good way to "recycle" old parts...

First with the woofers, you probably shouldnt put them in the same box as the regular speakers only because the pressure could harm the speakers. Thats just what I would think...

[*] <---speaker

--- <---under carpet divider...

[0] <---woofer

Dont know if I helped you out or gave the information you needed, but thats my 2 cents

you need a Eng.D in acoustics to build *good* speakers yourself... good luck with that... you can make crappy speakers by yourself

OR you can grab some designs online somewhere...

there is so much more to building speakers than just making a box and slapping a few drivers in holes...

Edited by hardnrg

you need a Eng.D in acoustics to build *good* speakers yourself... good luck with that... you can make crappy speakers by yourself

there is so much more to building speakers than just making a box and slapping a few drivers in holes...

:withstupid: you can put a ferrari engine in your homebuilt car... but that doesnt mean the car will perform like a ferrari ;)

AGREED

I once made a speaker box for a $250 subwoofer out of plywood in 25 mins, let me tell you it was the epitome of suck...

I then ordered a ported box from a website that allowed you to chose between box volume and port length, it sounded like a whole new speaker!!

If you do decide to build a speaker box, when I worked at New Generation Car Audio in Flint, we used 3/4" CDF to build the boxes and liquid nail on all the edges and then you can wrap it in anything if you want it to look nice, but it does not need to be wrapped in anything...

I once made a speaker box for a $250 subwoofer out of plywood in 25 mins, let me tell you it was the epitome of suck...

I then ordered a ported box from a website that allowed you to chose between box volume and port length, it sounded like a whole new speaker!!

Hmmm... some of the best sounding car sub boxes I've ever heard were the ones my friends and I made. But we custom made ours more for fitment than price. Every backseat has a different angle and width, so custom really makes sense there. On the other hand, home speakers are pretty standardized in shape. The main benefit to a custom build would be cost. However, if you're buying all your speakers and crossovers retail, plus paying shipping, the savings will be rather minimal, I'd bet. By the time you buy all your parts, you'll probably be very close to the cost of the pre-built speakers. Then, when you figure in the value of the quality from a truely "engineered" speaker cabinet, I think it's definately worth it to buy pre-built.