LGA 775 IHS Removal

Hey after doing some hard research on google and other certain websites I came in conlusion that I can remove the IHS from LGA775 processors. After looking at Hardnrg's AMD IHS removal guide before and after temperature results I came in conclusion to do it myself since there is a good temperature decrease. I know this will probaly be very hard and risky due to the fact that part of the processors IHS is soldered on. This is exactly why I will test it on a celly first and if succesful, then my Core 2 Duo. I will be doing this tommorow when I am more awake, so stay updated for pics and info. :thumbs-up:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the ihs is glued on around the edges as well as soldered on the inside. Stick the chip to the bottom of a saucepan with thermal paste and wait till your stove top os glowing red put the pot inside a bigger pot full of boiling water. once it heats up enough you should hear a couple little pops, and then a load pop and the chip will move a bit then you know it is seperated :)

are you sure its not any capacitors popping there Uber ;)

or did you do that already?

lol nope but after this method was used the CPU still worked fine, and was cooler to boot :)

there is NO solder. it's very strong epoxy.

and i would not recomend taking it off. Intel's are chronically hard to deal with in this arena of combat. odds are VERY high that you'd crack one of the 90nm chips, and the 65nm ones (core 2 series) are more than likely worse.

You should read this. Those guys tried to remove their conroe IHS and killed it. However, if you go to the previous page of that article, you can see how they lapped their IHS. THAT actually looks like a good idea. They said they lost 2-3c off their idle temps, but didn't test it on full load before they performed their fatal surgery attempt.

The A64 IHS removal is pretty straight-forward. I've done it twice now, and even the first time when I had no clue what I was doing, it was pretty easy. It's scary to cut a $300 processor, but if you're careful and you know what you're doing, it's pretty fool-proof. Intel 775 IHS removal looks to be another story.

EDIT###

Here's another thread on the matter. Rather mixed results there.

it's NOT solder! it's an aluminum oxide epoxy. only way to get it off would be with the correct solvent. of course that would more than likely do just was much damage as ripping it off in the first place.