WRX Carputer :D

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to do this a while back, but lost intrest in the idea after I looked at prices for everything...

I want to see how you monut the screen and pics of the comp in the trunk; I agree with sdy, it wouldnt hurt to add an exaust fan in there, I would get a black one with no lights and then put a filter over it so you cant see anything...

thats awesome, nice box and stuff to house it in. be sure to mount that hdd on some rubber mounts because a pothole could very well kill a powered desktop hdd if its not cushioned...ive been wanting to put one in my car but my sound system would most likely destroy the hdd's among other things.

dont you think it would be a pain in the butt having to wait for windows to load every time you start the car?

xtra car battery and an inverter and windows hibernate might get you through the night and would charge on way to work/school

ive been wanting to put one in my car but my sound system would most likely destroy the hdd's among other things.

Yeah, that's my worry. I guess I could power it off of a flash drive, except that ruins the point. I guess an iPod with a direct hookup FTW for me.

Although hdd's aren't indestructable, they can still take a bit of beating. You guys make it sound like they are so fragile that being in a computer case is as far as they can go.

Cars TODAY have hdd's in the sound system. I don't think a little bump or 2 is going to do anything (I do have my subwoofer in my room about, 2 feet from my case.) Full base songs and my hdd is still going fine.

Rubber feet, work like a charm.

I didn't tink that there wa much more that you could do to make WRX a cooler car in it's class than put in higher powered turbo chip. I have been proved wrong.

I don't exaclty get what is going to be done with this PC, though. Is it like a Super Ultra Mega iPod?

Put in some good rubber mounts and you shouldn't really have a problem.

I thought about this problem for quite awhile when I started designing the PC for my Nissan Murano....my solution was simple and has proven to be very reliable. The first thing I did was decided to mount the HD vertical instead of horizontal. The reasoning behind this was that if I hit a bump it would more than likely just knock the read/write head out of position over the disk surface not knock it INTO the disk surface. With this thought in mind my hardrive is hard mounted in the car with no rubber mounting or other isolation in place at all. The other thing I did was bought a hardrive with a 16MB Cache so if there was any read/write head movement it would be negated by the large HD memory cache. To answer the question of whether or not this setup works let me just say that the Hockey arena that my son plays at decided to put in five huge speed bumps in a effort to slow people down in the parking lot which I generally hit at about 25 to 30 miles an hour in succession without a hickup in audio or video playback on my system. B:)

Murano_1.jpg

Murano_2.jpg+

Murano_3.jpg

Good luck with your build...you're going to love it when it's done B:)