Expanding Foam Case

Neuhausplatz 200NC

I've been wanting to do this since I saw it in 2002.

I have recently taken apart a Compaq iPAQ p3 866Mhz Computer.

Pics of the internals here

This thing is HEAVILY proprietary, it is gonna be a pita to mod this...

If you look at the pictures you'll notice that the IDE connector is on the back of the motherboard, also next to the IDE connector is a Compaq "MULTIBAY" connector port which connects the slim line cd-rom to the motherboard...

(if anyone knows of an expansion card for this, or cale that could extend this connector to a better location the shoot me a PM)

So my questions are:

Can this P3 be passively cooled with the stock heatsink (which did not have a fan to begin with) and/or with the PSU fan?

Or should I make ducts through the foam for intake/exhaust fans?

IMHO if done correctly this can/will be a VERY unique case mod...

What are your thoughts on this?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Passive cooled P3... hmmm, I dunno, Even my stock P3s with a 60mm fan over them get real hot. IMO, best thing to do is setup 2x120mm on either side of the case and form a "wind tunnel" over the cpu/mobo so you won't have to worry about super loud whiny fans (80mm and lower)

Of course, you can keep the HS already on the cpu :P

Edited by The Unforgivin

first thoughts, thats ugly.

next i'm thinking you'll want some sort of shell around the motherboard to get air to it. Could be like a wind tunnel for the cpu which, with the right hsf which could work well. Everything needs to be cooled though, hdd, graphics card, even certain parts of the motherboard.

first thoughts, thats ugly.

next i'm thinking you'll want some sort of shell around the motherboard to get air to it. Could be like a wind tunnel for the cpu which, with the right hsf which could work well. Everything needs to be cooled though, hdd, graphics card, even certain parts of the motherboard.

:withstupid: Yep, vregs, nbs, sb, everything needs to have some sort of airlow

2x120mms will do all that + your CPU. Another plus is that there so large, so it doesn't have to spin as fast to get the air you want=quiet :D

Yeah I was thinking that ducts would work quite nice, although I have NO idea how to go about making them...

I was thinking wax paper around pvc pipe or even gutter downspout pipe?

I HOPE that the expanding foam doesn't adhere to the wax paper because if it does than I have no other choice but to leave the duct templates in-place...

This thing has built in video and ethernet too, so AFAIK the only real hot thing should be the CPU.

Next i'm thinking you'll want some sort of shell around the motherboard to get air to it. Could be like a wind tunnel for the cpu which, with the right hsf which could work well. Everything needs to be cooled though, hdd, graphics card, even certain parts of the motherboard.
I understand that, but it will be hard considering the hdd and CD-rom are on the opposite side of the motherboard, which means this thing will have to be sttod vertically... Edited by Andrewr05

When it comes time to make the ducts just use a soldering iron with a junk tip to melt the foam. Do it outside as the fumes can be full of "methylethylbadshit"

Or take a Dremel tool with one of the routing bits in it and cut them out...

I HOPE that the expanding foam doesn't adhere to the wax paper because if it does than I have no other choice but to leave the duct templates in-place...

when i made my fibreglass duct, i constructed a card-ribbed papier-mache mold that i lacquered and then *greased* with some general purpose grease (like you'd use on a car/bike)

worked really well for me :)

when i made my fibreglass duct, i constructed a card-ribbed papier-mache mold that i lacquered and then *greased* with some general purpose grease (like you'd use on a car/bike)

worked really well for me :)

Thanks for the tip!! ;)

mvmhfak9.th.jpg

The only thing is that I need to make a shroud to direct air over the motherboard...

Ill probably just end up using cardboard and foaming around it or im just gonna bite the bullet and make ducts only to the CPU.

If anyone care here a picture of what the pc was:

10811lm5.th.jpg

Edited by Andrewr05

I don't wish to sound unsupportive... but OMG [content deleted] that is way ugly and looks like it fell out of the back of a now long since extinct terrasaur! :P:lol:

However... if you were gonna' sculpt it to form something, it would have definite potential! ;)

Expanding foam FTW!

Edited by tazwegion

I don't wish to sound unsupportive... but OMG [content deleted] that is way ugly and looks like it fell out of the back of a now long since extinct terrasaur!
Thats the point though, noone would expect a computer to look like that.

You want people to be like DOUBLEU-TEE-EFFE is that? and then you spen 15 minutes showig them that its not a grease covered sheep, but a fully functioning pc!!

the only thing I would worry about is using good parts to do it...that does not seem like such a good idea...
All of the part im going to use are aproximately 6 years old. ;) Edited by Andrewr05