Don't Understand

bigred

I'm still trying to figure this one out. and in truth it relates to many of the car threads here on OCC.

WHY the urge to drive like idiots? wouldn't have a problem except when I end up paying for someone else's screw ups.

WHY the urge to go fast? has anyone noticed the lack of roads with a 100+ mph speed limit? and how many actualy make it to the track?

WHY the urge to get off the line fast? is this going achieve anything?

I've come to grips with the whole tuner / ricer art form of building the car up. I can understand pushing the limits of a vehicle... but in a safe and legal manner (aka the track is FINE).

now lets try explaining this, without flaming, without trying to compare it to overclocking (OC'n your comp doesn't lead to death and destruction when things go wrong)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ bigred's second post: Its all about making the kessel run in less the 12 parsecs.

True enough. Lets take this a step further. I want to do 70 with 2 inches of shush/show/ice on the road. I see it all the time. These people are usually driving big ford or dodge trucks. the ricers can't ever get on the freeway. :lol:Heck, last time I drove in those conditions i did not was to go the posted (variable speed zone) limit of 45. I guess my main problem with Testosterone is that it causes 'stupid.' People doing 70 when the freeway looks like the below. yeah sure.

dennycrk.jpg

I was doing that speed lastnight in an 04 sunfire, only because I needed to get back to school (2.5 hr drive) and I left late, hoping that the roads were going to be cleared and get past the storm...it worked for parts but when I hit I96 and US131, they were not the best plowed roads...anyways finally made it back at 1:30AM for an 8:00AM class...:(

I do not understand trying to go faster than 85 on a road if there is no need...

I'm still trying to figure this one out. and in truth it relates to many of the car threads here on OCC.

WHY the urge to drive like idiots? wouldn't have a problem except when I end up paying for someone else's screw ups.

WHY the urge to go fast? has anyone noticed the lack of roads with a 100+ mph speed limit? and how many actualy make it to the track?

WHY the urge to get off the line fast? is this going achieve anything?

answer to question 1. They are idiots. They feel the rules don't apply to them. see answer below.

answer to question 2. We live in a materialistic country and people say if you want it get it, with no regard to others. Oh you want a 3000 dollar computer to play solitare on, ok, just put it on your credit card, never mind that you already can't make the minimum payments. They carry that mentality over to driving, 'Oh, you want to leave at 8:33 and drive 70 instead of leaving at 8:30 and driving the speed limit? thats fine because it what you want. You deserve it.'

I believe it all goes back to how they view the world. And without trying to start a war, this is where evolutionary thinking takes you. That it's all about me. Screw everyone else, I'm going to do what I want because I'm "the fittest".

Just to let you know I will not respond to any other posts about this so it won't turn into a war, but I am curious as to what others are thinking.

@ bigred's second post: Its all about making the kessel run in less the 12 parsecs.

True enough. Lets take this a step further. I want to do 70 with 2 inches of shush/show/ice on the road. I see it all the time. These people are usually driving big ford or dodge trucks. the ricers can't ever get on the freeway. :lol:Heck, last time I drove in those conditions i did not was to go the posted (variable speed zone) limit of 45. I guess my main problem with Testosterone is that it causes 'stupid.' People doing 70 when the freeway looks like the below. yeah sure.

while I fit into that catagory of people with a 4x4 truck, I also know that it does NOTHING on roads like that. infact it makes it worse. instead of 2 wheels spinning aimlessly it give you 4! what a help that is.

that road looks better than what I was on around mid night last night. and people were blowing by me doing speeds over the posted limit. was funny though to see them stuck in the ditch eventually. sadly though somone did die on the very same road last night. while I feel bad for their families... it's natural selection getting a helping hand from technology. in the end trying to get from point A to B that fast only leads idiots to long and frustrating delays.

again the "why" question comes up.

I guess we people from Europe don't really fit into this, but most of the autobahn around Hannover (where I live) has no speed limit, and my dad DOES like to take advantage of it, however not like an idiot. He enjoys going fast sometimes, but mostly he stay around 150-160 km/h, dunno how fast that would be in miles, probably like 70-75mph.

In america, I see the point of the 65 mph speed limit, as I drove through Utah/Arizona on the seemingly ENDLESS highway, where you won't see a house/person in over 10 miles. It doesn't work that way in a crowded country like germany (a third of the USA population in about the size of Texas). However, not everyone drives cars here, most people go from city to city by train, which is fast, safe and relatively cheap. I guess thats not an alternative in a country where it takes over 12 hours to drive from one side to the other.

I guess thats not an alternative in a country where it takes over 12 hours to drive from one side to the other.

12 hours? I live on the east coast (South Carolina) and it took me 16 hours to get to Oklahoma (middle of the country). I know you said over 12 hours but It's quite a bit over 12.