Ue: Abandoned St. James Church

anthony

Today my sister and I decided to visit the St James church, not exactly a good day because it was snowing, but what the hell why not :P

First here is why it is abandoned:

This building burned down in the 90's; it is linked to an arsonist and a double homicide/homicide-suicide at UofT involving a professor who was also the treasurer for the Church...

Ok, so here's the story, told to me by one of the neighbours...

There was a Porfessor at UofT in the medsci department (cadaver lab) who, with his partner there, were on the verge of a 'big' discovery. Now, this professor was also the 'accountant' (voluntary) at Christ Church St. James. On the day of the great fire at the church, all of the Professors files etc. (at the university) went missing; his partner was found dead IN one of the cadaver slates, and the professor was nowhere to be found. Several years later, his body was found rotting in a car off the Scarborough Bluffs. Now, the neighbour who told me all this says that he used to work near the bluffs, and that there is NO WAY one could have an 'accident' at that particular location. This all sounds very creepy to me, and so in a Herdy Boys - esque manner, I did a little research at the university (which I attend) - NO ONE wants to talk about it...VERY strange... When it came time to demolish the rest of the church, they went to the church funds, and realized it was all phony - had the treasurer made off with the money, burned the evidence, and killed his friend? The police seem to think it was all coincidense; this is why the ruins stand until today...

Link

There really isn’t much of it left, the scary thing is that the original burn wood pieces - I’m talking about giant beams were still there! There really is no church anymore, just four walls and a small room (which had two floors a few months earlier). Something interesting I found in that room ... no not a dead body :P but someone had a party in there! Shot glasses, bottles, lots of cigs, party trays, and blue berries! Rotting of course, but wow nice choice of a location :P.

I mostly shot film today, but I did shoot a few digitals :) (unfortunately all of that room =\, none of the food though... gotta wait for my film for those!)

stjamestrip3tj8.jpg

stjamestrip2ex3.jpg

stjamestripvr2.jpg

Digital: canon eos 20D, I think those were shot with the 17-85 IS lens

the film is a retro Chinon CM3 with a 55mm F1.7 (which is broken, aperature doesnt change properly :P)

Thanks for the comments guys :D

Ive picked it up again after a 5 month break, next week probably doing Hearn, a gigantic old power plant :).

Im not so much for drains, I got UE'ing for the photo opertunity... drains aren't really my thing :P