Anyone With Older Motorcycle Experience?

Newport

Hey all! I just picked up an 81 Suzuki GS550 last week for dirt cheap and i am starting to have some minor problems. Anyone have experience with a 4 cylinder carbed bike engine?

Here is a post i made on another forum:

After about 300 miles of driving, i noticed that after longer drives the bike would start to hesitate and then die after a short while. When i bought the bike, the idle would flex between 3k and 3.5k. After a longer drive, it would stutter down to around 1500 and it would act like it wanted to die. Once it died, i would reattempt to start it but it would quickly flood out and i would have to sit and wait. After a little bit, the bike would start right up. I noticed that after it would die like this, the filter and the housing it is in would be bone dry of fuel. The bike would reek of fuel when i tried to start it until this bulb would fill back up. Once the bulb filled up, the bike would almost instantly start.

Fast forward... I let the bike sit for a few days due to a snow storm and i went to start it and it took one hell of a time to start. I flooded the engine about 3 times trying to get it going and once it finally started, the bike idles fine at around 1200 rpms but it was misfiring. I felt each of the 4 exhaust pipes and the second to the left (number 2 cylinder?) side was ice cold while the others were warm. I pulled the plug and it was soaked with gas. So i exchanged the number 1 cylinder plug with the number 2 cylinder plug thinking i had a bad plug. Same results were given. So then i checked for ignition to the number 2 cylinder plug wire. It shocked me good and hard so i know that it is working.

Could the carb for the misfiring cylinder be feeding the cylinder too much gas and causing it to not fire? I do notice that after 20 seconds or so of idling with this misfire, the exhaust gasket leaks fuel. I do think that above 5k, the cylinder does start to fire as the revs speed up very quickly above 5k and i hear a backfire inside of the same exhaust manifold. The backfire only happens for like 2 seconds... I am assuming this is just the unburnt fuel being ignited as the cylinder finally beings to fire up.

I do know that the bike was over revved to 12k a few times and i am wondering if that has anything to do with the problem at hand?

So for all of you who dont want to read this huge post, here are my 2 questions:

1)what could cause the filter bulb to empty itself after a longer period of time?

2)what could cause my number 2 cylinder to misfire even after making sure that the cylinder is getting spark?

Also, does anyone know of some good motorcycle forums that have some active sections for older bikes? I have yet to find one...