Mustang Upgrades

CmpFreak88

Guest buick454wnos
how about holding off? my understanding is you're a new driver. if so don't invite the Pandora's box of fun you're about to open.

it also sounds like you either plan to "try" and do the work yourself or pay someone to do it for you. I'd highly suggest not learning on a daily driver that you MUST rely on. wait on this kind of thing till you can afford a backup plan of sorts. and you've learned to control the car to begin with. I'd also suggest having a substantial cushion in your wallet (aka a steady job) and a backup vehicle before letting a mechanic loose on this project.

remember I didn't start doing major mods to my first vehicle till there was a 2nd one in the drive way with it... and it wasn't expected to get my but to work.

I would assume that he had another car, so i am sorry about that. Listen to this man, he speaks the truth.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, like I said before, I know it's a V6 so I know this thing isn't going to be a power house, but I like how quick it is, and I'd like to throw on a short shift kit just to make it something a little more fun to drive. You guys are right though about the mods and I probably should be saving for preventitive maintenance rather than mods, so I probably will. But anyways, my dad is a mechanic and I've been watching him my whole life and he's willing to help me with everything. But thanks for the advice guys, I suppose you're right that I should wait and save up the money, that's always a good thing, haha, but I was just thinking as the "I wanna go fast" teenager I am, haha.

bigred hit the nail on the head as usual.

playing around for performance sake requires 2 vehicles.

driving a performance car requires learning the skills to do so.

i have 2 Mustang GT's, both bought brand new.

i have a 94 convertible i drive back and forth to the shop everyday, and an 88 GT that is my favorite toy.

the 88 was very fast stock, but when i purchased the 94 the fun started with the 88.

i have close to $10,000 invested in the upgrades over the years.

it is now close to 500 HP without the nitrous...

sub 12 second quarter mile times with the proper tires.

driving it on the street requires you to resist all the morons that want to try you at every other red light...

it also requires the skill to drive it while sideways in a cloud of tire smoke.

you have been given a vey nice car.

my advice is to take good care of it.

do anything you wish to make it pretty, or sound good.

save your serious upgrade money for something with a small block V8 in it.

then you can build yourself a toy...

i'm going to agree with everyone else here in this thread, they have good points, but you don't have to hold off on everything. since you obviously don't have thousands to spend and won't be spending it on major upgrades such swapping engines, nitrous, forced induction, etc, etc like bigred seemed to have an impression of - where things could go drastically wrong - but want a little increase, my suggestions are two things. buy a cold air intake, and a new exhaust. [flowmaster] hell, it doesn't even have to be the whole exhaust. a flowmaster muffler alone sounds great. ofcourse it won't provide hardly any increase, but will instantly give your car a completely new sound, even with that 3.8L. (correct for v6 stang?) my 2.5L v6 sounds great with a catback, flowmaster muffler, and cold air intake - sounds rediculous compared to stock.

sure, the most i'd hope for is 20hp extra, (cold air and full exhaust DONE RIGHT, mind you) and probably won't be noticeable. but again, it sounds great and makes it fun(ner) to drive.

my two cents.

:withstupid:

I'm not saying things WILL go wrong. I've just been down this road more than once before. this type of work can easily go from being a saturday afternoon project to a full weekend and then some. and that can mean the car is out of service at that time. which SUCKS if you have to go to work on a monday without it. plus it's nice to have another vehicle to take a run to the parts store and pickup what ever ELSE you need.

I'm just offering insites based on my own experiences... remember I've stripped vehicles to the frame type of upgrades / rebuilds. and it's always those little things that end up being the worst ones for unexpected nightmares. like replacing a muffler that ends up being everything upto the exhaust manifolds and all the mounting hardware :( or replacing a locking hub that somehow snowballs into a wheel bearing as well. and considering it's a Ford... I KNOW ford and the problems thier designs can create.

No offense, but the car is a V6 which means you won't be getting into any races. If I were you I would throw a soundsystem in it. I drive a Ford Contour which was an OK car to drive (I'm grateful that my parents bought it for me, I'm just saying that there are more fun cars to drive), but since I put in a new headunit, replaced the speakers (they are connected to the stock amp that came with the Premium Audio Package from the factory), and threw in 2 12" subs (and obviously an amp), I love driving my car. I must warn you, the only downside is that people love riding in the car so much that I end up doing more than my share of driving. Recently, I bought an iPod and bought a $8 3.5mm - RCA cable so I could hook it up to my headunit, and now I barely want to get out of the car.

If you really want the "I modded this myself" feeling

I think Bosco hit the spot. Intake and exhaust.... That is what usally holds your power back. It makes you engine breath better. IT you drive it good, a lot of people get better gas milage. So what ever you want to do.

Edited by goathic