One Question Before My Processor Gets Naked

I was planning on nakeifying my processor tonight but have a quick question first. I know that I need to modify the retention bracket which is fine, but in the future if I upgrade or replace the processor, wont this create problems? Would I need to get another bracket, and if so where would I find one. I surfed google a bit and only found one place that sold them but it looks as though they have been out of stock for quite awhile.

Thanks for the guidance.

yeah you'd either have to get a heatsink that doesn't use a bracket and just bolts down... or... just make *all* your cpus naked haha... i'm on my 5th naked 939 cpu now i think

yeah you'd either have to get a heatsink that doesn't use a bracket and just bolts down... or... just make *all* your cpus naked haha... i'm on my 5th naked 939 cpu now i think

Describe this " naked " cpu ????????? any pics

Well it looks as though I was successful, although it was one of the scariest things I have ever done!

The only thing I am disappointed about is that my temps only decreased 2-3 degrees under load. Ah well still better than it was.

remember AS5 still has to settle in (if you used that :))

2.3C is better than nothing, so yea. Did you use the knife nrg used or something like a razor? I used a razor blade for my dual core and one of those retractable blade knifes, and the razor blade was SOOO much easier!

I used a razor similar to what nrg used. The main thing I found was that you have to use alot of force along the corners. At first I thought I was digging into the IHS or the processor, but that adhesive is just hard to cut. I only had once close call and after that it was smooth sailing. Now in about a week I get to see how much farther I can take this baby!

Guest buick454wnos

DFI charged me 15 bucks for a new bracket

email donna at dfi, more than likely, she can get her hands on one for a few bucks

Edited by buick454wnos

if i'm not mistaken, all s939 brackets are the same? so...why not just find one from a donor cheapo motherboard?

even though i know with my xp-120, it has a diff bracket as it is. but i dont even use that anymore. i just knew i'd be keeping my xp-120 for a while, but now i have watercooling.