Iggy's Athlon Xp From Hell

Iggy

WoW, i mean wow. that rig must really be good, especially for a socket a to pull off a 8k-ish socre in 05? good job on that, and i wonder if you have time for a phase change run in the future hehe. i think you may be able to just push it even more, congrats :D and as for those headphones, they beat mines, im using some cheapo $20 philips since i got tired of using my ipod headphones for gaming and a bs microphone for TS and vent. :P

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quick update, the chip is quite happy at 12.5x200 with 1.65v, although after that it seems to hit a substantial voltage wall. 13.5x200 is roughly stable with 1.9v, and I don't feel comfortable pushing any more voltage into the chip for 24/7 operation. The video card has issues in WoW with any significant overclocking, although Oblivion and ATITool both appear to be artifact free at 500 Mhz Core and 1400 Mhz memory. If I have time I may buckle down and do the vgpu and vdd mods for the 7800GS+, since it seems to be experiencing issues similar to other G71 based cards I've worked with (artifacting at stock speeds/insufficient vcore). Crucial was out of stock on the tracers, so I'm still waiting for some good ram before I can start increasing the fsb beyond 200. I did get to play around with a 2x512 Mb UTT Ballistix kit this weekend for about half and hour, and I was able to boot into windows at a 260 MHz fsb. Granted I won't experience the same sort of luck with a 2x1 Gb kit on NF2, but at least I know that the motherboard is capable of a high FSB without mods.

Edited by Iggy

Ballistix arrived, current status:

post-4989-1169519663_thumb.jpg

I think I can safely say that this system is one of the top ten fastest Socket A machines ever built.

Edited by Iggy

while it's a decent overclock, it's probably not one of the top ten...

here are eight that are faster:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59753

i think Fueler has his axp rig up near 3ghz, so that's 9 ... i've seen quite a few axp's at 2.6-2.7 on water...

keep pushin it! :D

I was thinking more along the lines of graphical performance rather than raw CPU speed---there are other AXP's which have surpassed this build in MHz, but none would survive Quake 4 on ultra quality or Oblivion at high(er) details.

I was thinking more along the lines of graphical performance rather than raw CPU speed---there are other AXP's which have surpassed this build in MHz, but none would survive Quake 4 on ultra quality or Oblivion at high(er) details.

Nice, where'd you get all the stuff? I'm glad somebody is embracing some older hardware. I know very well firsthand how difficult it can be on old hardware and I'm glad somebody is able to make something VERY useful out of it.

Edited by Crow47