Sign in to follow this  
romeo55

Patching/running Cat-5 Cables

Hehe, Well I moved a few computers across the house, so In order the reach that room from the other side of my house with Cat-5, I have to run about 150-200 feet worth of cat-5 cable (Three lengths) And fix the existing cable that a Road Runner chewed up, along with the Cable Connection, so 4 cables.

First thing first, patch the screwed cable, then begin the mounting

(@ UK peoples, Yes We know our houses are built like crap... hehe, Our roofs are basically a sheet of 1/2" plywood :P )

Yes, I'm leaving the cable like that :lol: It'll be under the overhanging anyways :P Now two more to go...

Edited by The Unforgivin

Good job Unforgivin! Thats how it is supposed to be done! Might want to throw some heatshrink on thos though :P

Hehe, Well I moved a few computers across the house, so In order the reach that room from the other side of my house with Cat-5, I have to run about 150-200 feet worth of cat-5 cable (Three lengths) And fix the existing cable that a Road-Runner chewed up, along with the Cable Connection, so 4 cables.

First thing first, patch the screwed cable, then begin the mounting

(@ UK peoples, Yes We know our houses are built like crap... hehe, Our roofs are basically a sheet of 1/2" plywood :P )

Yes, I'm leaving the cable like that :lol: It'll be under the overhanging anyways :P Now two more to go...

I did not chew up your Cable! Just kidding, would it be better to solder them also?

I did not chew up your Cable! Just kidding, would it be better to solder them also?

Yes, but the key word is Unforgivin, I don't bring out the heavy tools unless I absolutely need to :P haha, but yes it would be better to solder, then put some liquid electrical tape over it. ( which I do have)

@Roadkill :lol:

NOOOOOO.

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

just NO.

you should never splice cat 5 or 6 grade cable. it takes out the twists in the pairs which is CRITICAL to ensuring propper data transfer. if anything you get yourself some tool less crimp on 8 conductor mod ends, and some female to female couplers. that way you can keep the twists tight right to the end and ensure it's done RIGHT (won't corrode on you)

I'm with bigred. It's extremely important that the pairs remain twisted along the entire length of the cable, with just enough on each end for the RJ45 connecter. untwisting the pairs can have a big effect on performance. :)

-.- youve got to be kidding me. do you know how much noise is probably on that cable, and talk about attenuation. either:

A) put a female jack on it, and terminate the other side with a male rj45

B) run new cable

even if it does work, the signal will degrade over time, and sooner than later your cable will be defective. btw, one of my jobs is running and terminating thousands upon thousands of feet of this stuff, believe me, just do it right the first time.

I hate to say it but I have spliced cat 5 before ( don't hit me to hard lol), and I used the scotchlock things ccokeman posted. Sure the signal is not as good, but it has not degraded over time. Also I don't believe he ever said what those computers were for. For all we know they are folding boxes or computers that only need to use the internet and/or network minimally.

back%20patch%20panel.jpg

also you "spliced" that's patching above. big difference.

and mrsinister and wamson are RIGHT. do it right the first time.