How Do I Turn On The Computer With Out A Welcome Screen?

Sanosuke_Sagara

I posted about this before and some one really knew how to fix it... you have to go in the registry somewhere?? or do something in the "run command" and uncheck or change some stuff?

i just installed HP software and now it does that crappy log in screen.. and i remember the fix didn't have to do anything with the control panel under the User tab... does anyone know how to fix this?...

i would just do an old search.. but i tried the search on the forums and couldn't find it... (sorta wish overclockersclub had the SEARCH by threads started by author like most newer forum).

You want Windows to load right up to the Desktop or do you just not want to use the Welcome screen and use the old Windows 2000 method of signing in where you have to type in the user name?

If the first, then just get rid of your account's password and disable the Welcome screen in the User Accounts Controls.

If the second, then just disable the Welcome Screen but leave your password intact.

here is how you do it:

-----------------------------------------------------

XP: Logon Automatically When Starting Windows

Description -

Restart your system without having to manually log on.

Directions -

By default XP requires a user to logon everytime he/she restarts the system. For single user systems this continues to be a good practice for security reasons; however, many users find the process of logging-in silly in a one-user system.

The recipe will describe how the user can have XP automatically log-in during start-up.

Here's the manual way to do this:

1. Click on the Start Menu

2. Click Run

3. In the open field type: control userpasswords2

4. Click OK

5. An User Accounts Dialog Box will open.

6. Select the Users Tab

7. Clear the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer checkbox

8. Select the Advanced Tab

9. If it is not already, clear the Require users to press Ctrl-Alt-Del before logging on checkbox

10. Press Apply

11. A dialog box will open asking you for user name and password

12. Input the information into these fields

13. Click OK

14. Click on Start Menu again

15. Open your Control Panel

16. Open User Accounts

17. Click Change the way users log on or off

18. If it is not already, clear checkbox for Use the Welcome Screen

19. If it is not already, clear checkbox for Use Fast User Switching

20. Click the Apply Options button

21. Reboot to see your results

-----------------------------------------------------

It is a registry editor value...

Open the run dialog box and type in "regedit", be careful though you can SERIOUSLY mess your computer up if you start fiddling with random values...

Edited by Andrewr05

i would just do an old search.. but i tried the search on the forums and couldn't find it... (sorta wish overclockersclub had the SEARCH by threads started by author like most newer forum).

What? OCC does, click on the member's name and view their profile. Then click on "Profile Options" (I think...) and click on Find all Topics started by this member, or Find all posts by this member... Easy :)